VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Working

Rate this question

matt

Question

Hello everyone,

I am a member and have posted a few times. i am currently awaiting my c and p for PTSD. I am a forced retired National Guard Officer, that has deployed a few times over my 21 years. I filed back in april 08 and have had a cp for hearing and one last week for my back, however, i am still awaiting my c and p for PTSD. I have an appt with my regular Dr. this coming friday and want to discuss with him about how I go out on short and long term dis with my company benefits. unfortunately, at this point, i do not think i should be working as I am just wasting the companies money as I am having some pretty big hardships in concentration hallucinations etc...I called my VA shrink for a hurry up appt and the soonist is dec 19th. this is crazy...I need specialized care pretty much once a week or more. I don't know what too do. i can't lose the job, which I am pretty much in danger of doing and I can't quite do to needing the money to pay bills, feed the kids things of those nture. such a catch 22. My VSO told me until I am SC, he cannot submit paperwork for disability. any thougths would be appreciated.

Matt

• Answers 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

matt,

I just want to correct and/or clarify some information in this

thread regarding SSA.

1) SSD can take from about 6 months to two or three years to

be granted fully favorable.

2) After SSD is granted the retroactive date of payment begins on the sixth

month after the claim was filed.

I am only posting this because I don't want you thinking you can

apply for SSD and you will only have to wait until the sixth month after

application to begin receiving SSD payment benefits.

carlie

Carlie,

thanks for clarifying that. Yeah, with the VA and SSA, it's a crap shoot. By the time i got around to receiving my claim, more then likely i would be divorced and homeless....no wonder 70-80% of homeless americans are vets.....does anybody know if SSD is affected by a military pension? if i am SC for a certain % I am eligble for my guard pension immeditaly. which thank god I was able to get my 20 in prior to being forced out. funny thing is 30 minutes ago i received my final OER from with senior rater (BDE commander) comments for me to sign....

Matt

matt,

I just want to correct and/or clarify some information in this

thread regarding SSA.

1) SSD can take from about 6 months to two or three years to

be granted fully favorable.

2) After SSD is granted the retroactive date of payment begins on the sixth

month after the claim was filed.

I am only posting this because I don't want you thinking you can

apply for SSD and you will only have to wait until the sixth month after

application to begin receiving SSD payment benefits.

carlie

• HadIt.com Elder

If you are in a group plan for disability insurance through your job what happens is that once you get VA or SSD or workers compensation your disability insurance check is reduced. Disability insurance is a good thing to tide you over until you get your SSD and VA 100%. However, these disability policies are full of ways for the insurance company to shake you loose. They may send you to their crooked doctor to say you can work. I have disability insurance through a private policy. They have been paying for 7 years and still demand documentation every six months.

• HadIt.com Elder

Carlie:

It did not work that way for me. I filed in June after I had been in Hospital and Social Security went back to March the month after last day I had worked in February. It actually helped me out cause I got a bigger retro check when they paid me in November.

As I understand it Social Security can go back 1 year or a Judge can go back many years. I know one guy who got 6 years. That is a reason to be very careful how you fill out the Forms.

Pete,

My clarification in this thread is to let matt know not to think

that he can go file a claim for SSD and "it take six mos. for the SSDI to kick

in from the time you stopped working."

Chances of filing a claim for SSD and having a check in six months are slim

to none in my opinion.

Perhaps I have misunderstood this thread some, sorry.

carlie

• HadIt.com Elder

Carlie:

I agree with your statement as a rule of thumb. As we both know sometimes the VA will award and the Veteran has a fight with SS but in my experience it works the other way. Howver mine goes back to 1991 and probably is not representative of what goes on today.

I do stand behind that for me and some people I have helped that SS is much easier and professional than the VA is.