VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Working

Rate this question

matt

Question

Hello everyone,

I am a member and have posted a few times. i am currently awaiting my c and p for PTSD. I am a forced retired National Guard Officer, that has deployed a few times over my 21 years. I filed back in april 08 and have had a cp for hearing and one last week for my back, however, i am still awaiting my c and p for PTSD. I have an appt with my regular Dr. this coming friday and want to discuss with him about how I go out on short and long term dis with my company benefits. unfortunately, at this point, i do not think i should be working as I am just wasting the companies money as I am having some pretty big hardships in concentration hallucinations etc...I called my VA shrink for a hurry up appt and the soonist is dec 19th. this is crazy...I need specialized care pretty much once a week or more. I don't know what too do. i can't lose the job, which I am pretty much in danger of doing and I can't quite do to needing the money to pay bills, feed the kids things of those nture. such a catch 22. My VSO told me until I am SC, he cannot submit paperwork for disability. any thougths would be appreciated.

Matt

• Answers 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Matt, Carlie is correct about the SSDI, you have to be awarded first. The time frame can be anywheres from 3mos. to years before it is awarded, if at all. However, my claim only took 89 days to be decided and was awarded six mos to the day after I stopped working. Now if you were not working then its a different story. It goes from the time you became disabled or when you filed and depends on the circumstances.

Pete, Carlie and Tag and bag,

thanks, but geez what are people suppose to do for minimal 6 months while they wait for their claim to possibly be approved? there has to be a way for people that can't work to be able to pay bills and survive while they wait for their VA and SSDI benefits to kick in.

One of the heartburns I have right now is in my old military unit recently there has been a few AGR soldiers retire in Aug 08 filed their claim in Sept and already approved for 80 to 90%. I filed in Apr 08 and only have had 2 c and p's. Very frustrating. Plus I am going to sit down with my VSo either this friday or coming monday to see what excatly is going on. I am also, going to the VA outpatient clinic in Charlotte, one of those days to speak with a Counselor or social worker to update my progress and possibly set another appt with my shrink. My problem is getting worse and I need help. Sad fact is, if I take the time off work to get that help it will more then likely not be paid, or take STD/LTD it will be unpaid as it is service connected. catch 22, need to pay bills, no work, no pay...

Matt

• HadIt.com Elder

Matt, the sense of responsibility weighs heavily on a decision like this one.

Does your employer have Long term or short term disability insurance plans?

If so then you may qualify for that avenue.

J

J,

yes they do have STD/LTD,

However previously in this post i was advised that my employer might not approve the claim for PTSD simply for the fact that it relates back to military. However, since i haven't been SCe'd yet they may approve it. i am going to speak with my family dr tomorrow and show him some of my VA paperwork progress notes and diagnosis. the bad part about it is that it is thru metlife, you apply on the phone not thru a rep. they contact your dr and get the info from him. they can take up to 2 weeks to approve or dissapprove. So in the 2 week period you are unpaid unless you have sick days and vacation days left. What if i am disapproved, i will look like a horses ass going back to my old job. But it's worth a try. i need to do something. I am not getting any better for sure..

Matt

Matt, the sense of responsibility weighs heavily on a decision like this one.

Does your employer have Long term or short term disability insurance plans?

If so then you may qualify for that avenue.

J

• HadIt.com Elder

Matt, have you visited the SSA website? If you have not, it may be in your best interest to check it out. I do not know your situation as you do. I know if your household income is under a certain threshhold, you can collect SSI,it is different than SSDI, its designed for low income households. If you qualified for that, you could collect food stamps as well as the monthly stipend from SSI. I did not qualify for it, because my wife made over the threshhold cap on household income. All you have to do is go online and see if you would qualify for SSI, if you stopped working. When I originally applied for SSDI, they had me apply for SSI also. One other thing is if you were awarded SSDI, there is a ticket to work program, where you can work while on SSDI. But you can only make a certain amount, I believe its under 900.00 a month. However that may not be a good idea if you were going for IU with the VA. Hope this makes sense and helps you out. Sometimes my posts are a bit convoluted. ;)

T&B