VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Working

Rate this question

matt

Question

Hello everyone,

I am a member and have posted a few times. i am currently awaiting my c and p for PTSD. I am a forced retired National Guard Officer, that has deployed a few times over my 21 years. I filed back in april 08 and have had a cp for hearing and one last week for my back, however, i am still awaiting my c and p for PTSD. I have an appt with my regular Dr. this coming friday and want to discuss with him about how I go out on short and long term dis with my company benefits. unfortunately, at this point, i do not think i should be working as I am just wasting the companies money as I am having some pretty big hardships in concentration hallucinations etc...I called my VA shrink for a hurry up appt and the soonist is dec 19th. this is crazy...I need specialized care pretty much once a week or more. I don't know what too do. i can't lose the job, which I am pretty much in danger of doing and I can't quite do to needing the money to pay bills, feed the kids things of those nture. such a catch 22. My VSO told me until I am SC, he cannot submit paperwork for disability. any thougths would be appreciated.

Matt

• Answers 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

t and b,

thanks I haven't been to the website yet however, based of what our income is, i can pretty much gaurentee that we are over the threshold. But I will check thanks

Matt

Matt, have you visited the SSA website? If you have not, it may be in your best interest to check it out. I do not know your situation as you do. I know if your household income is under a certain threshhold, you can collect SSI,it is different than SSDI, its designed for low income households. If you qualified for that, you could collect food stamps as well as the monthly stipend from SSI. I did not qualify for it, because my wife made over the threshhold cap on household income. All you have to do is go online and see if you would qualify for SSI, if you stopped working. When I originally applied for SSDI, they had me apply for SSI also. One other thing is if you were awarded SSDI, there is a ticket to work program, where you can work while on SSDI. But you can only make a certain amount, I believe its under 900.00 a month. However that may not be a good idea if you were going for IU with the VA. Hope this makes sense and helps you out. Sometimes my posts are a bit convoluted. ;)

T&B

unfortunately, with my wife's income we are over the threshold. getting very frustrated with this. I am starting to become overwhelmed with trying to balance life, work, dealing with my issues, family and getting myself better.....Sometimes, i wish I would have never joined the service...

Matt

t and b,

thanks I haven't been to the website yet however, based of what our income is, i can pretty much gaurentee that we are over the threshold. But I will check thanks

Matt

went to the VA today, saw the social worker i used to see regulerly a few months ago. set me up with a weekly appt to see her, set me up with a ptsd group. not happy that i am worse off. on the way out of the va outpatient clinic, i stopped by the release of info, printed the las years progress notes. Low and behold the C and P for my back was in there. I am even more depressed now in the 4-5 pages of the exam at the end, it states that a medical opinion was requested and the PA that conducted the c and p said it was not likely that me back injury is due to service in the military. rationale: I did not create a chronicity of the event within service. and went on to say, tha I received a medical exam a few years ago and the spine looked fine then. Talk about not what I wanted to hear. Talk about a let down on my frigin 40th birthday...

Matt

Whelp came home today and there was a nice big envelope from the VA waiting for me. It was my initial award letter, awarded me 10% for tiniitus 0 for bilat hearing loss, denied for bilat knee pain, denied for GERD, denied for lumbar ddd. It also stated that PTSD and TBI were deferred until c and p for those. So, anyways, at least i know they are pretty quick with my claim. i saw the hearing person on oct 28 and back pa on nov 25.

Matt

• HadIt.com Elder

Hi Matt, Your right. All things considered, it seems the VA came back quick with that part of your claim. Well, at least you saw this one coming. You stoped by "release of info" at the VA yesterday. Knowledge is power. Your on the back strech now, with the next two claims. Best of luck.