Jump to content


  • Searches Community Forums, Blog and more


Did you know that a new law allows retirees with under 20 years of active service, to recive retirement and V.A. comp. When filing for military CRSC retirement pay for combat wounded vets with PTSD, be sure your VASRD code# is listed as 9411. I was rated many years ago, before PTSD was recognized in 1980. My old VARSD # is not considered combat related. I now had to reaply for PTSD with the V.A.. I requested that the PTSD origin date go back to my first PTSD type rating date of 1978. I don't know if they will do it. I got my first CRSC Army retirement pay check this month. Hold on to your hats,...$42.00 a month.

Edited by Commander Bob 92-93

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

The 2008 National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) was signed into law on January 29, 2008 to include Chapter 61, a new component for Combat Related Special Compensation (CRSC). This legislation expands eligibility to medical retirees with less than 20 years of service, effective January1,2008. Medically retired veterans must still provide documentation that shows a causal link between a current VA disability and a combat related event. Each Branch of the military has it's own CRSC section. I successfully completed my application process through the Army CRSC unit. I first called them at (866) 281 3254, and they sent me the application and helped me get through the process. It took a couple of months before the concurrent VA comp and the Army CRSC retirement pay started. For many of us, it's not much more money, depending on your rank and time in service, ( most of us eligible now, were just cannon fodder that didn't last long.) At the end of all the red tape and waiting involved, I'll take the win. However humble the reward, sometimes it's the thought that counts

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites


commander bob has told you correctly. Anyone, AD of reserve or National Guard that is retired for disability (have to be over 30% by your service, inorder to be retired anyways) and has a VA rating can apply for CRSC pay. These retirees are what is called Chapter 61 retirees, meaning they did less then the 20 yrs. You quaiify if you are on TDRL as well as PDRL for the combat related injuries. If you got out because of multiple conditions, yet the smallest is of the combat nature, then that is what you will file for. You may not get much of anything, or nothing at all. The key is getting approved. Once your approved if your combat related injury changes then so does your crsc amount. There are a few methods of computing your crsc offset amount, which can be rather confusing. I'm still learning myself, but I just wanted to piggyback what the commander had stated.

Key points once again

  • Medically retired from service due to disabilities prior to 20 yrs of service, called chapter 61 retirees.
  • TDRL and PDRL qualify
  • only injuries combat related, PTSD is considered combat related as well, can be filed for with your own branch of service.
  • current reirement pay - minus if you had done 20 yrs pay and difference is the offset ( i believe, it gets confusing becuase of your time in service.
  • so if your combat disability amount of your retirement pay is smaller then the offset, then you wouldnt get anything but it could change in the future. If your percentage is higher then the offset, then this is added in addition to your VA pay.

hope I helped and didnt confuse more.......happy holidays

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Outstanding Marine. Well put USMC HVEQ. Remember; the PTSD has to be linked to combat related.

Edited by Commander Bob 92-93

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Ads

  • Advertisemnt

  • Latest News
  • Our picks

    • If you are a Veteran, represented by MOPH, you need to know that MOPH is closing down its offices.  This can have a drastic effect on your claim, and it wont be good for you.  You likely need to get a new representative.  

      This station confirms MOPH is closing its doors:


      • 0 replies
    • Retroactive Back Pay.
      Retroactive Back Pay - #1Viewed Post Week of March 19. 2018

      My claim is scheduled to close tomorrow for my backpay.
      Does anyone know if it does close how long till the backpay hits the bank?
      Also does information only get updated on our claims whenever the site is down?
      • 44 replies
    • Examining your service medical records...
      * First thing I do after receiving a service medical record is number each page when I get to the end I go back and add 1 of 100 and so on.

      * Second I then make a copy of my service medical records on a different color paper, yellow or buff something easy to read, but it will distinguish it from the original.

      * I then put my original away and work off the copy.

      * Now if you know the specific date it's fairly easy to find. 

      * If on the other hand you don't know specifically or you had symptoms leading up to it. Well this may take some detective work and so Watson the game is afoot.

      * Let's say it's Irritable Syndrome 

      * I would start page by page from page 1, if the first thing I run across an entry that supports my claim for IBS, I number it #1, I Bracket it in Red, and then on a separate piece of paper I start to compile my medical evidence log. So I would write Page 10 #1 and a brief summary of the evidence, do this has you go through all the your medical records and when you are finished you will have an index and easy way to find your evidence. 

      Study your diagnosis symptoms look them up. Check common medications for your IBS and look for the symptoms noted in your evidence that seem to point to IBS, if your doctor prescribes meds for IBS, but doesn't call it that make those a reference also.
      • 9 replies
    • How to get your questions answered on the forum
      Do not post your question in someone else's thread. If you are reading a topic that sounds similar to your question, start a new topic and post your question. When you add your question to a topic someone else started both your questions get lost in the thread. So best to start your own thread so you can follow your question and the other member can follow theirs.

      All VA Claims questions should be posted on our forums. Read the forums without registering, to post you must register it’s free. Register for a free account.

      Tips on posting on the forums.

      Post a clear title like ‘Need help preparing PTSD claim’ or “VA med center won’t schedule my surgery” instead of ‘I have a question’.

      Knowledgable people who don’t have time to read all posts may skip yours if your need isn’t clear in the title. I don’t read all posts every login and will gravitate towards those I have more info on.

      Use paragraphs instead of one huge, rambling introduction or story. Again – You want to make it easy for others to help. If your question is buried in a monster paragraph there are fewer who will investigate to dig it out.

      Leading to:

      Post clear questions and then give background info on them.


      A. I was previously denied for apnea – Should I refile a claim?

      I was diagnosed with apnea in service and received a CPAP machine but claim was denied in 2008. Should I refile?

      B. I may have PTSD- how can I be sure?

      I was involved in traumatic incident on base in 1974 and have had nightmares ever since, but I did not go to mental health while enlisted. How can I get help?

      This gives members a starting point to ask clarifying questions like “Can you post the Reasons for Denial from your claim?” etc.


      Your firsts posts on the board may be delayed before they show up, as they are reviewed, this process does not take long and the review requirement will be removed usually by the 6th post, though we reserve the right to keep anyone on moderator preview.

      This process allows us to remove spam and other junk posts before they hit the board. We want to keep the focus on VA Claims and this helps us do that.
      • 2 replies
    • I have a 30% hearing loss and 10% Tinnitus rating since 5/17.  I have Meniere's Syndrome which was diagnosed by a VA facility in 2010 yet I never thought to include this in my quest for a rating.  Meniere's is very debilitating for me, but I have not made any noise about it because I could lose my license to drive.  I am thinking of applying for additional compensation as I am unable to work at any meaningful employment as I cannot communicate effectively because of my hearing and comprehension difficulties.  I don't know whether to file for a TDUI, or just ask for additional compensation.  My county Veterans service contact who helped me get my current rating has been totally useless on this when I asked her for help.  Does anyone know which forms I should use?  There are so many different directions to proceed on this that I am confused.  Any help would be appreciated.  Vietnam Vet 64-67. 


How to get your questions answered.

All VA Claims questions should be posted on our forums. Read the forums without registering, to post you must register it’s free. Register for a free account.

Tips on posting on the forums.

  1. Post a clear title like ‘Need help preparing PTSD claim’ ...
  2. Knowledgable people who don’t have time to read all posts may skip yours if your need isn’t clear in the title ... 
  3. Use paragraphs instead of one huge, rambling introduction or story. Again – You want to make it easy for others to help ...
Continue Reading

  • Advertisemnt

  • latest-posts-activity.pngstart-new-topic.pngsearch.png

  • Advertisemnt

  • Ads

  • Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   


  • 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims


    When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading
  • Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

    employment 2.jpeg

    You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading


Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines