VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Vasrd 9411

Rate this question

Commander Bob

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Did you know that a new law allows retirees with under 20 years of active service, to recive retirement and V.A. comp. When filing for military CRSC retirement pay for combat wounded vets with PTSD, be sure your VASRD code# is listed as 9411. I was rated many years ago, before PTSD was recognized in 1980. My old VARSD # is not considered combat related. I now had to reaply for PTSD with the V.A.. I requested that the PTSD origin date go back to my first PTSD type rating date of 1978. I don't know if they will do it. I got my first CRSC Army retirement pay check this month. Hold on to your hats,...$42.00 a month.

Edited by Commander Bob 92-93

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

The 2008 National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) was signed into law on January 29, 2008 to include Chapter 61, a new component for Combat Related Special Compensation (CRSC). This legislation expands eligibility to medical retirees with less than 20 years of service, effective January1,2008. Medically retired veterans must still provide documentation that shows a causal link between a current VA disability and a combat related event. Each Branch of the military has it's own CRSC section. I successfully completed my application process through the Army CRSC unit. I first called them at (866) 281 3254, and they sent me the application and helped me get through the process. It took a couple of months before the concurrent VA comp and the Army CRSC retirement pay started. For many of us, it's not much more money, depending on your rank and time in service, ( most of us eligible now, were just cannon fodder that didn't last long.) At the end of all the red tape and waiting involved, I'll take the win. However humble the reward, sometimes it's the thought that counts

commander bob has told you correctly. Anyone, AD of reserve or National Guard that is retired for disability (have to be over 30% by your service, inorder to be retired anyways) and has a VA rating can apply for CRSC pay. These retirees are what is called Chapter 61 retirees, meaning they did less then the 20 yrs. You quaiify if you are on TDRL as well as PDRL for the combat related injuries. If you got out because of multiple conditions, yet the smallest is of the combat nature, then that is what you will file for. You may not get much of anything, or nothing at all. The key is getting approved. Once your approved if your combat related injury changes then so does your crsc amount. There are a few methods of computing your crsc offset amount, which can be rather confusing. I'm still learning myself, but I just wanted to piggyback what the commander had stated.

Key points once again

• Medically retired from service due to disabilities prior to 20 yrs of service, called chapter 61 retirees.
  • TDRL and PDRL qualify
  • only injuries combat related, PTSD is considered combat related as well, can be filed for with your own branch of service.
  • current reirement pay - minus if you had done 20 yrs pay and difference is the offset ( i believe, it gets confusing becuase of your time in service.
  • so if your combat disability amount of your retirement pay is smaller then the offset, then you wouldnt get anything but it could change in the future. If your percentage is higher then the offset, then this is added in addition to your VA pay.

hope I helped and didnt confuse more.......happy holidays