VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Dic ?

hurryupnwait

Question

• Answers 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Merry Christmas Berta...I hope your are feeling well and having a good day. I am looking forward to learning more about DIC and other important issues you have to contribute, and witness all the people you will help in the New Year

• HadIt.com Elder
I just found this on the VA web site.

It appears that the VA may have changed the DIC period to 8 years instead of 10 years.

DIC pay rates

another pay rate

as of 12/1/2008. Both have an eight year time period.

Any comments

OOPPPss my mistake, after reading it again, the time frame for basic rate DIC is 10 years with additional allowances for 8 years.

Paul

As I understand it under 38 USC 1318 a veteran must have been rated 100% for his dependents to receive DIC upon death from any cause. However, if a veteran dies in service or of service connected causes then DIC is granted at less than 10 years. As I understand it also, if a totally disabled veteran is married to the spouse for 8 years or more when totally disabled, higher DIC is paid to that surviving spouse. I realize I am not wording this well. The regulations and laws in 38 USC and 38 CFR and the V.A. explain this far better than me.

• HadIt.com Elder

I caught the dates of this old thread also. I looked up the new numbers for a widow of a 100% vet. The story appears to be the same. When the old 100% veteran dies, his widow basically becomes very poor. In many cases, the surviving spouse will have to live on about one third of the monthly compensation. Those that truly cared for us old combat wounded soldiers, that bore the battle, must struggle on alone, with a pitiful stipend. Shame, shame , shame...