VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd But Can't Prove Stressor

Rate this question

Pete53

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I am helping a Veteran who definitely has PTSD but served in Navy. The VAMC diagnoses him with PTSD and Depression but the problem is he served in Blue Water Navy and was attacked on boat as well as exposed to bodies.

I went through trying to get somewhere in 1992 but he would no cooperate and VA would not help.

In my mind his safest bet is to claim Depression serviced connected. Has anyone ever heard of Major Depression with PTSD as a Secondary.

The Veteran is my Brother I gave up and it was easy to get him a Pension 5 years ago but it irks me that he is not getting full benefits.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

• Answers 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Pete,

You posted,

" was attacked on boat as well as exposed to bodies".

Does he have any record of this(where he was stationed) or can he get buddy statements.

"The VAMC diagnoses him with PTSD and Depression",

What does the psyc connect these two diagnoses to ?

Got to get them to connect it to something.

Yes, Depression and PTSD can certainly be co-morbid and many, many times are.

In my opinion most people that have PTSD are also depressed, but the majority of those

that have diagnoised Depression, do not have PTSD.

jmho,

carlie

• HadIt.com Elder

Pete this is how they rated me. This is verbatim " Service disorder for post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) also claimed as depression has been established as directly related to military service. Hope this helps.

T&B

Pete-

My PTSD and Chronic Major Depression are rated together as well. Is the VARO saying that he has to prove the stressor? He shouldn't have to...his word and recall of the stressful event should be enough along with all of the symptoms of PTSD...that is all I needed for my claim. I know that each situation is different, I sure hope it all works out.

• HadIt.com Elder

Pete, I know a few vets who were on variuos ships that sailed into the gulf of Tonkin and received bodies from Danang.

Shoot me a name va PM and I will set you up with some of them.

• HadIt.com Elder

USS America his boss threw a hammer at him and sent him to galley cause he was afraid of him. He spent a lot of time in the refrigerators where bodies were kept until they were shipped out. His MOS was AMS Aviation Structural Mechanic. Appreciate the comments he saw someone at Dallas VAMC today for clinical evaluation and has a return appointment Jan 2nd. The woman who evaluated him said he had PTSD and that she thought it was Service Connected. Anyway there are a lot of problems with the Service Medical Records although there is also a lot that supports that he should be diagnosed with PTSD.

Thanks for the comments.