VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd But Can't Prove Stressor

Rate this question

Pete53

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I am helping a Veteran who definitely has PTSD but served in Navy. The VAMC diagnoses him with PTSD and Depression but the problem is he served in Blue Water Navy and was attacked on boat as well as exposed to bodies.

I went through trying to get somewhere in 1992 but he would no cooperate and VA would not help.

In my mind his safest bet is to claim Depression serviced connected. Has anyone ever heard of Major Depression with PTSD as a Secondary.

The Veteran is my Brother I gave up and it was easy to get him a Pension 5 years ago but it irks me that he is not getting full benefits.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

• Answers 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder
Pete this is how they rated me. This is verbatim " Service disorder for post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) also claimed as depression has been established as directly related to military service. Hope this helps.

T&B

Pete was the ship ever fired on by the enemy, if so, that could be your stressor and if you could get morning reports and unit rosters or buddy staments. They used incoming fire, rockets etc. for my stressor. Hope this helps.

T&B

• HadIt.com Elder

Purple

What was your stressor? Do you have combat awards or proof of an assult in service? Usually, PTSD claims are tripped up on the stressor verification.

• HadIt.com Elder

Pete,

I looked at the Navy Ship Awards & do not see the Combat Action Ribbon for the USS America. My friend's entire ship was awarded the CAR for one day exchange of fire with the NVA. I also had the info on the incident. That CAR is what I call an "Automatic Stressor" & I hoped that the ship had been awared one while Brother was serving. Do you have the time frame when the hostile fire happened? Area or Corps (I,II,III,IV) would help. I know it is a real pain, but somewhere on the Board, someone can find the answer.

Don

john999-

my stressor was military sexual trauma...i was raped by a fellow service member while on active duty. i never had to provide any proof. unfortunately, my medical records were extremely extensive for in-patient care relating to severe depression/PTSD issues so perhaps that had an affect on my claim as well.