VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd But Can't Prove Stressor

Rate this question

Pete53

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I am helping a Veteran who definitely has PTSD but served in Navy. The VAMC diagnoses him with PTSD and Depression but the problem is he served in Blue Water Navy and was attacked on boat as well as exposed to bodies.

I went through trying to get somewhere in 1992 but he would no cooperate and VA would not help.

In my mind his safest bet is to claim Depression serviced connected. Has anyone ever heard of Major Depression with PTSD as a Secondary.

The Veteran is my Brother I gave up and it was easy to get him a Pension 5 years ago but it irks me that he is not getting full benefits.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

• Answers 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I am sure the right dates are on his DD 214. He has two DD 214's in fact. I would like to help him but I am not going to drive myself nuts doing it.

• HadIt.com Elder

Pete,

My friend on the Princeton was a cook. Never changed MOS (or whatever), but 2nd trip they put him in the cooler with the bodies. So you can see that the cooks probably saw more bodies than anyone on ship. Glad he was not assigned to morgue, but many cooks were.

Don

• HadIt.com Elder
I am sure the right dates are on his DD 214. He has two DD 214's in fact. I would like to help him but I am not going to drive myself nuts doing it.

Was he given an in-service psychiatric diagnosis? The VA would not have awarded a Pension unless he was totally disabled . . . was Depression part of that Pension award? ~Wings

• HadIt.com Elder

Pete,do what it takes to help yoiur brother. If it includes combining the recources of Hadit to assist then the better off he will be.

He needs help.

Depending on how much fuel a Carrier carries and the draft of the ship. A fall or a jump from the flight deck distance of 80 to 90 ft can be lethal with the ship moving at 34 knots or 39 mph.

If he did not hit the water correctly he would be dead.

I believe we can find and get him a some buddy statements and other information needed for him ot succeed.

J

• HadIt.com Elder

I appreciate all the help.

Wings

He got the Pension 3 months after we submitted a one page letter from a Mexican Doctor that stated he had Depression cause by his Navy Service. I doubt that there were over 150 words written.. He would not see or talk to VA at that time. You know PTSD types they are not always helpful to their own cause.

JBasser

I appreciate the help and perhaps a buddy statement would help him. This is something I don't know much about how to fnd someone to dispute a Navy's Doc who wrote up a biased report.

Don Evans;

Thank you also and everyone who posted it means a lot to me.

I would like him to have some security keep in mind he has never really been able to hold down a job since 1972 He is really a great guy and I love being around him. I just feel so guilty that I have not been able to do more.

• HadIt.com Elder
I appreciate all the help.

Wings

He got the Pension 3 months after we submitted a one page letter from a Mexican Doctor that stated he had Depression cause by his Navy Service. I doubt that there were over 150 words written.. He would not see or talk to VA at that time. You know PTSD types they are not always helpful to their own cause.

JBasser

I appreciate the help and perhaps a buddy statement would help him. This is something I don't know much about how to fnd someone to dispute a Navy's Doc who wrote up a biased report.

Don Evans;

Thank you also and everyone who posted it means a lot to me.

I would like him to have some security keep in mind he has never really been able to hold down a job since 1972 He is really a great guy and I love being around him. I just feel so guilty that I have not been able to do more.

Pete, File a VA Claim for Depression; use that same Dr.'s report. Meanwhile, develop evidence for PTSD --but don't file a claim for it until you have all yer ducks in a row. I suppose the Depression would be a more straightforward claim. You can get an IMO to argue that historical, Navy report as pure conjecture (guess work on the part of the Navy). Just thinking out loud ... ~Wings