VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd But Can't Prove Stressor

Rate this question

Pete53

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I am helping a Veteran who definitely has PTSD but served in Navy. The VAMC diagnoses him with PTSD and Depression but the problem is he served in Blue Water Navy and was attacked on boat as well as exposed to bodies.

I went through trying to get somewhere in 1992 but he would no cooperate and VA would not help.

In my mind his safest bet is to claim Depression serviced connected. Has anyone ever heard of Major Depression with PTSD as a Secondary.

The Veteran is my Brother I gave up and it was easy to get him a Pension 5 years ago but it irks me that he is not getting full benefits.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

• Answers 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Pete,the USS America was station at yankee station,from May26 1970 to August 20,1970,that is off the coast of Da Nang Vietnam,mabe this is the time, he was in vietnam,you know the ptsd type memories ain't to good."lol" If i was you i would concentrate, on getting him service connected for major depression,since he had a doctor that stated ,it is because of his Military service and try to get him some counseling by a va psychiatrist or psychologist and if he got a General Discharge,there was something wrong with him,so do all the research you can, and post it so we can help, by him being in the refrigerator with dead bodies.will hold know water unless,he got some buddy statements like JBasser said.

What bodies, would be keep on a aircraft carrier? The soldiers that was KIA in vietnam was flown to Tan Son Nhut Airforce Base in vietnam and stored, until they was flown back to the United States.

mobie16r

100% Service Connected For

Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder

• HadIt.com Elder

What bodies, would be keep on a aircraft carrier?

If a helicopter squadron was on the carrier (probably on near by ship) or landed on carrier could be bodies of Marines of Soldiers killed in that area. At times, many ships used one of the cooler stroage lockers to store bodies. I know it seems strange but, I couldn't repeat the stories I was told of the condition of the bodies received on ships. It is difficult to verify that as a stressor, I tried for 5 plus years & the 2 or 3 people that would respond didn't want to do Buddy Letters. It happened & I know of one young salior that life is screwed to this day from those experiences.

Don

• HadIt.com Elder

Makes sense to me, you have to put the bodies somewhere. Where do those jokers at the VA think we put the bodies? In the magical mystery morgue? Army and Airforce could move them more quickly out of an area.

• HadIt.com Elder

I had gotten a call on Friday from the AMC file management team whom informed that they had recieved my documentation from JSRRC on November 25, 2008. This is after the JSRRC said that they sent it on April 10, 2008. They say that they sent my requested copy to me on Friday as well directly from the JSRRC and that I should get it on Tuesday. This will help me know what type of evidence to send the AMC in addition to what I sent. I spent part of the weekend doing a document review. (I even have a copy of a manifest, I was a pack rat in service.) The ironic thing was that as a condition of my Remand I was not to have a new C&P exam until they had proven my stressors. I had the C&P on October 3, 2008 with a GAF 45 Axis I PTSD Chronic and Severe and Depression comorbid. So far this appears to be coming together and I have to say win, lose, or draw the members of Hadit.com have helped with my claim, as well as see PTSD as not the social stigma that I was once inclined to be afraid of. Thank you.

Mike

danangmy friend mike did 3 tours in vietnam. he applied for ptsd in 2000 and has been denied many times since he cannot prove any stressors. we just found out about a va form 21-0781. should he fill one out and mail it in ? won't this help his claim until that someday comes and suddenly his records with the stressful incidents appear ? he asked me to ask all the vietnam veterans out there if they remember one of his stressful events. on dec 24, 1971, at monkey ridge in danang, he was on a chopper pad ready to go up the ramp to the chinook when it was broadcasted that the 1st chinook that left about 20 minutes earlier had crashed into a mountain killing all aboard, about 30 soldiers. they and my friend's chinook were going to see bob hope and jim nabors in phu bi.anybody remember this ? thank you, john d.

• HadIt.com Elder

I was service connected for schizophrenia, and they threw in PTSD, Panic Disorder, Social Phobia, and Agoraphobia, Depression, Chronic Pain Disorder and a PD. For all that they said 70% and TDIU. If I had tried to prove the PTSD I would still be waiting, however on my rating decision it says PTSD. Go with what takes the least amount of proof. I never verified any stressors. The money is exactly the same. Alex told me this.