VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Right Med, Wrong Doc!

Rate this topic

I'm going to check into it.....it was just a script for Prozac, shouldn't have needed any approval. I'm trying to fight off the thought that my appendix might be going....I've been hurting like hell the past 24 hrs and the thought of the VA doing surgery on me scares the sh!! out of me!!!! ;) :blink:

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

purple,

As jbasser said some scrips need approval from supervisor. Several of mine do. VA tries to give cheapest available. Scrips for other more costly meds have to be approved.

Keep us up on appendix. Hope you feel better. Let us know how you are doing.

Mark

PURPLE!!!

Please do not wait around if you feel your appendix might be going. OMG!!! You say you have been hurting like hell for the past 24 hours.

PLEASE GO TO SOME ER IMMEDIATELY!!! This is a serious situation,,, SERIOUS!!!

Please, go get checked out. If your appendix "burst,,," well,,, let's not go there...

Listen,,, pain is usually middle lower or right lower,,, ,,, any fever or vomiting,,,?

Either way,,, please go get checked!!!

Purple, after you read this,,, please go to the ER or somewhere to have your appendix checked.

Moderator, I hope I do not get in trouble for saying this. This is urgent.

Tayo

Well, I called the Pharmacy....LMAO! They said that they really couldn't explain why the chief of the Mental Health Dept's name was on my script vs the pdoc that I saw...they said I'd have to call the Mental Health Dept and ask them.

So I asked about them prescribing Prozac and Trazodone together...they said it's done all the time and that the VA does check for drug interactions...I told them I didn't believe them and I wanted to speak to a pharmacist, so I was put on hold and then disconnected!!

I'll call back later when I feel better, but here's what I found on line:

Prozac (fluoxetine) and traZODONE (Major Drug-Drug)MONITOR CLOSELY: Concomitant use of agents with serotonergic activity such as serotonin reuptake inhibitors, monoamine oxidase inhibitors, tricyclic antidepressants, 5-HT1 receptor agonists, ergot alkaloids, lithium, St. John's wort, phenylpiperidine opioids, dextromethorphan, and 5-hydroxytryptophan may potentiate the risk of serotonin syndrome, which is a rare but serious and potentially fatal condition thought to result from hyperstimulation of brainstem 5-HT1A and 2A receptors.

MANAGEMENT: In general, the concomitant use of multiple serotonergic agents should be avoided if possible, or otherwise approached with caution if potential benefit is deemed to outweigh the risk. Patients should be closely monitored for the development of serotonin syndrome, which may include mental status changes such as irritability, altered consciousness, confusion, hallucinations, and coma; autonomic dysfunction such as tachycardia, hyperthermia, diaphoresis, shivering, blood pressure lability, and mydriasis; neuromuscular abnormalities such as hyperreflexia, myoclonus, tremor, and ataxia; and gastrointestinal symptoms such as abdominal cramping, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Particular caution is advised when increasing the dosages of these agents. The potential risk of serotonin syndrome should be considered even when administering serotonergic agents sequentially, as some agents may demonstrate a prolonged elimination half-life. For example, a 5-week washout period is recommended following use of fluoxetine before administering another serotonergic agent. If serotonin syndrome develops or is suspected during the course of therapy, all serotonergic agents should be discontinued immediately and supportive care rendered as necessary. Moderately ill patients may also benefit from the administration of a serotonin antagonist (e.g., cyproheptadine, chlorpromazine). Severe cases should be managed under consultation with a toxicologist and may require sedation, neuromuscular paralysis, intubation, and mechanical ventilation in addition to the other measures.

Got an answer finally to the different pdoc question. It's actually the same doc. Yup, I called the Mental Health clinic and spoke to someone that I know there. She said that the name on the bottle is my pdoc's legal name. He is married to the Department Chief. So as not to confuse the staff and pts, he goes by his middle name at work...but his legal name has to be on all scripts and correspondence.

Wow. Why would anyone be confused? One is male and one is female. They don't even work in the same bldg.

So, mystery solved I guess.

• HadIt.com Elder

This is my opinion only but trazodone is a very old antidepressant with a lot of side effects that the VA uses tor its side effects. Prozac has been around for awhile but there are other newer meds with less side effects that you might consider and if you are taking trazodone to aid sleep good lord gask for something better than that.

Just my opinion I am a patient who takes a lot of meds and I do research what has been prescribed to me.

Good luck and it is good that you are checking out your meds