VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Gabbapentin

Rate this topic

As stated on prior posts, the VA prescribed this for treatment of my PTSD. Being totally unmonitored for 10 months, I gained 75# - Yes, one of the nasty side effects. When I moved, my new VA Psych said I should have never been put on it. It never helped me, so I weaned myself off. I still get the pills to keep them happy. My question - How long before the body slowly gets back to normal? My eating habits never changed.... :rolleyes:

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• In Memoriam

I was on GABA (Gabapentin) for about a year. I stopped taking it, because it made me sick. I stopped taking GABA for about 1 year now. I kept falling down. My neck problem coupled with GABA is horrible. My doctor took me off of the Diclofenac replacement, and the doctor put me back on Gabapentin recently.

I forgot that I stopped taking GABA, and why I stopped taking it. I ended back in emergency after starting it back up. Then I remembered it causes me to have breathing and falling problems. I have stopped it again. The VA just loves sending me this --expensive medication (as per my Doctor).

The VA said I was anorexic (??) a few years ago. The GABA put 25 pounds on me, just like that. The weight will slowly go away over a year if you stop taking GABA.

I was being given Gabapentin for nerve damage.

Guess it effects everyone differently.

Edited by Stretch

I take 4000 mg of Gabapentin per day for Dejerine Roussy Syndrome due to my stroke. Now weight problems but it does make me useless in the thinking department. Couple that with the cymbalta, oxy and others and man o man what a day.

• HadIt.com Elder

I don't know how I would survive without gabapentin. When I miss a dose 800 mg 3 x a day my feet feel like they are on fire. I also believe it helps my depression and panic. Tell me more about the meds that they use when they take you off gabapentin

:rolleyes: Pete, I was taken 400mg x 4 (not monitored), and 50mg Citalopram for my treatment of PTSD. I think it was for depression, and having suicidal thoughts. My new Psych is slowly weaning me off. She has me down to 2 a day - taking one dose away every three months. I gained the 75#, and can't budge the weight. I weaned myself off two months ago, because I never saw any changes since I started them. When she totally weans me, I told her that I want medication that doesn't have weight gain as a side effect. So I got to wait for her next move...

• In Memoriam

Pete53,

The Declofenac, was the best medication I have ever taken. It seems to have minimal side effects and works on the pain center in the brain. I didn't even realize how much pain it was taking away until I was told to stop taking it.

Declofenac, is for shorter term use. I had been taking it for 2 years. It does cause problems with my stomach so they gave me ranatidine to take with it. Declofenac and ranatidine seemed to be working very well, until I had a TIA. The emergency doctor said stop taking it now. My PCP said for me to go back on Gaba.

I too have cold hot tingling feet. The Declofenac took care of that as well. Seems like the Gaba is the only relief for the burning/freezing feet, other than Declofenac, but the Gaba seems to cause the same condition. It is a visious cycle with Gaba, for me. A doctor told me that a person could take up to 1300 mg of Gaba a day with no problems.

Edited by Stretch