VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Have Ptsd Rating From Va Going To National Guard Meb

Rate this question

finckjm

Question

I am currently in the National Guard and am in the process of being sent to the MEB for PTSD to determine if I am still fit for duty. I spent 4 years in the Regular Army and have been in the National Guard for 8 years, 1 1/2 years of my national guard time was 6 month train up and 12 month deployment to Iraq.

When I came back from Iraq I began having problems is social settings, marital problems, trouble concentrating at my civilian job and all kinds of other fun stuff. I almost closed lined a guy in a "man-dress" at the mall. After I was at home for about 6 months I finally decided to get help. I was eventually rated by the VA as 30% for PTSD and I also ended up getting another 10% for my knees. I still have one other claim for my back that I am appealing.

About a year ago every soldier in my National Guard unit was required to get a physical. During my physical I let the Dr. know what medications I was on and informed they were for my PTSD. He immediately gave me a P3 profile for my knees and PTSD, PULHES is 333113. The Guard finally got around to sending my packet to the MMRB, and I was found unfit to perform my current MOS as a Combat Engineer. My packet is going to the MEB in January of 2009 and I am trying to find out what I should expect from the MEB.

Do they take into consideration my current rating for PTSD from the VA?

The Medical Evaluation Board that I my packet is going to is an Active Duty MEB, because the disabilities are combat related and occured during a NG Federal Mobilization.

I appreciate any insight into this as it is something that I have been stressing about.

• Answers 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I would have to say "NO" I had a MEB and it was more for "Fit for Duty" than a rating. Chances are if you have been rated by the VA you got as much as your going to get if they release you from your contract. Ultimately the VA is the derision maker when it comes to rating disabilities. I had a MEB in 95 and the VA was the one who assign my rating for my disabilities 1 month after service. Hope this helps.. this is how it played out for me anyways... Good luck and welcome to hadit.

Thanks yoggie2

I understand that the MEB does not determine any type of physical dissiability rating and that the PEB assigns the dissability rating. From my understanding on the new army regulations about the MEB/PEB process as of January 2008 the DOD evaluation/rating scheme is supposed to use the the same system that the VA uses.

Does anybody know if this is accurate?

if you are attempting to get a rating from the service you should request the formal board the MEB will simple decide if you can remain in the gaurd. If you are unfit and have more than 15 years of total service you can retire if not you will be adminstratily discharged. I went throug this in 2005. Hope this helps!

Are you still drilling I see you were P3. I was P4 not allowed to participate and then medically retired but no rating from the service was attached. It possible they could reccomend you cross train to another MOS as well. Had you be on active duty and diagnosed then you would have a rating on your DD-214 because remember if you retire or are discharged you will recieve a final order not a final DD-214. all pertinant info is on that DD-214 you recieved when you completed you last active tour.

I am still drilling. The MMRB has determined that I am not able to perform the duties for my current MOS(Combat Engineer). The purpose of the MEB is to determine if I my profile prevents me from changing to another MOS, which is unlikely since my profile prevents me from even wearing a helmet or participating in anything physical, cant even do the alternate 2.5 mile walk or bike ride for APFT. I just want to know if they take into consideration my current rating from the VA and also what happens at the PEB.

Everything on my current P3 profile stems from incidents that occured while I was on Federal Orders deployed to Iraq. Because I am medically unfit for my current MOS due to my P3 from incidnets in Iraq, I go throught the active duty MEB/PEB process.

I know this a weird order to do things, already having a VA rating prior to MEB/PEB. I initially went to the VA just to get help for my PTSD, but ended up with a 40% rating by the time it was all said and done.

CTUMM,

I know what you are going through. I went through the MEB?PEB process myself but in the Marines. I was being treated for ptsd from the VA prior to my board. I wasnt rated yet. I do know, my MEB didn't look at my VA notes. I wasnt told to bring them. I'm sure it will just be like a C&P exam. You go to pyschiatrist, they do background history on you, current functioning (this is key to you percentage) and then what happened. You will have to tell your whole story as if you never told it before to the MEB. ONce you get through that, it takes the DR about 2 wks or so to formally write up their diagnosis for you, just like the VA did. They will then send that info, along with your medical record to a PEB. It's probably in washington, like mine was. They will have 3 people look over your file. 1 acitve duty line offier, 1 reserve line officer and 1 doctor. They will then determine if you are fit or unfit on all the things they are kicking you out for. They will then rank each condition from highest to lowest. They will assign a VA rating for each. Having a VA rating in your MED file might help, but they can raise or lower it depending on this board. After the board convenes and goes over your file, they will make a determination, say another 2-3 wks, it takes. Then they will fax you a copy of their decision and to the PEBLO. They will ask what you want to do. If percetnage is over 30% then you are medically retired. All same benefits as someone who did 20+ yrs. Then it matter if you are on TDRL or PDRL. About 2 months after you start receiving retiree pay is when they will send the VA a letter, which was in my case anyways. The VA will then accept tehir finds as to a percetnage. You will get more info sent to you. Sorry for the length response. Oh you might want to make sure that your code for ptsd on ur PEB says 9411, which is combat related. Also if your knees were to then you can get CRSC in addition to any VA pay. I'm trying to figure that one out myself.

good luck

remember get copies of all your VA progress notes and any ratings. You mikght want to request a copy of your C-file, so you can include this with your med file for the PEB.