VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd & Teeth Damage

Rate this question

Commander Bob

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

A 2001 VA funded study finds that PTSD patients damage teeth through involuntary grinding, clenching. http://www.sdm.buffalo.edu/news/20010308_ptsd.html " As if persons with posttraumatic stress disorder didn't have enough to worry about,..."

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

if my teeth rotted out due to my ptsd and being homeless can I file a secondary claim for teeth loss...thank you kindly..Allan

• HadIt.com Elder

I have 70%PTSD but never thought it would cause bad teeth (except not taking care of them)

I think I have that bruxism too, the VA  Dentist won't say? I have wore my teeth down so much that the teeth that I do have are rubbing my inside jaw (without the partials in)  the VA had did a couple root canals and then 6 month later extracted them and re  fitted my partials...now I am having all kinds of problems with my partials fitting,  I been back to the VA Dentist serveral times for remakes and adjustments...they just can't seem to get the adjustments right  and now they want to extract what teeth I do have, my bone line is to far gone for implants.

I actually only have about 14 teeth left across the front (top/bottom)  I have no molars, I get cavities filled to keep the pain down but I can't use my partials because they just don't fit right and  they always get loose when I try to eat with them   so I don't wear them......I think they made a big mistake when I let them extract those teeth they did the root canals on. eh!

Yeah they say poor hygiene on my part for not brushing and flossing  but I do every damn day  I just have that kind of luck with an acid type mouth  or what ever its called  that causes your teeth to go bad.?

good luck on the VA Dentist helping out with a claim...never mention a claim to them and just ask questions that will relate to the CFR's to what they put in there notes...recheck your notes after 3 days and see what they mention.

'

Edited by Buck52

A 2001 VA funded study finds that PTSD patients damage teeth through involuntary grinding, clenching. http://www.sdm.buffalo.edu/news/20010308_ptsd.html " As if persons with posttraumatic stress disorder didn't have enough to worry about,..."

Just went to the VA dentist. I also have damaged teeth from my PTSD. I am wearing off the tooth enamel to the point were I have indentation marks from my teeth grinding and clenching. I even wear a night guard. I am putting so much pressure on one tooth, that the gum line is receding because the tooth cannot take that kind of pressure. The VA has to graft gum tissue from the roof of my mouth to my tooth in order to fix the receding gum line. (its going to hurt!!!) They are giving me special fluoride toothpaste and rinse to slow down the damage of decay due to clenching and grinding. After I had my C&P for PTSD, I was so worked up that I was clenching my jaws so much that I broke one of my molars with a filling in it right in half. Now I need a crown. Like stated before "as if we don't have enough to worry about." ;)

• HadIt.com Elder

Clenching the jaw will also cause TMJ over time. I have that and I broke a few crowns from pressure. Now I have stainless steel crowns. Call me jaws.

• HadIt.com Elder

Glad to hear that the VA is passing out night guards. If they did that 30 or 40 years ago, it would have saved a lot of teeth and money. The MD's and the DDS's need to get together on this issue. Is there a protocol in the dental clinic to address PTSD vets? I have never heard of one.

Edited by Commander Bob 92-93