VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Prazosin Hcl 1mg Cap

Rate this topic

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been taking Prazosin for 4 months now along with Ambien, it worked for about 4 hrs. sleep but only every other day(PCP said not to take Ambien every day). Now I'm off Ambien and on Zoloft. Will let you know how this goes. I think the Prazosin has been effective though, but that could have been because of the mixture with Ambien.

• HadIt.com Elder

Carlie

Prazosin is in a class of drugs called alpha-adrenergic blockers. Prazosin causes the blood vessels (veins and arteries) to relax and expand, which allows blood to pass more easily through them.

Prazosin is used to treat hypertension (high blood pressure).

Prazosin may be used for purposes other than those listed in this medication guide.

Steppen,

She just bumped me up to 2mg.

carlie

That's what i took: 2mg before bedtime.

Recently i had a spike of blood pressure ( the result of fighting with the local VA ) 203/103....remembered that this medication as you ro someone pointed out, was introduced as a BP med. It didn't work as well as people had hoped. They continued to make the drug but it was not a popular BP medication although some people liked it.

My P-doc told me that a doctor in Washington state, he may even have worked at the Seatle VA hospital, did a clinical study with PTSD patients and they found that it worked significantly better than most other PTSD meds for controling "nightmares". If i understood him correctly "the thing" about this medication is that it seems to work best on just one single aspect of PTSD and the side effects are very minimal not to mention it helps keep the BP down a little.

Anyway, fearing that i was ready to blow a gasket i looked through hundreds of bottles of VA medications, some empty, some not empty and found a few Prazosin that were a few months past their so called expiration date but i had nothing else except klonopin. So i took 2 mg's of Praz and 10 of Klon and litterally could feel my BP start to come down. i monitored it about 6 times and hour. After two hours my BP was down to 154/ 80 which is still high for me, but at least i wouldn't get a blow out while driving to the store on a windy hilly road.

i am a big fan of this drug. There was one more positve that surprised me. When i missed a dose or just didn't take it for one reason or another, my BP didn't spike like it did on one other BP med that was given to me as part of a detox program that i requested to help get me off methadone which in and of itself is a story of it's own.

I received a RX for PRAZOSIN HCL 1 MG CAP, take 1- 2X a day.

Just last week but have been skeptical to take it. I am already on so many different meds that I just don't see how all this stuff could possible be okay all together. I guess it's my fear of someone trying to kill me inadvertently or on purpose (thinking about the VA).

I need to wait until the weekend, I think, because my psych doc kept telling me about the lightheadness when you first wake up in the morning and to get out of the bed slowly. Anyone dealing with that side affect?