VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Is There A Connection Between Psoriasis And Agent Orange

Rate this topic

I have for many years now but more recently these bumps on my scalp and it seems they are A form of Psoriasis .. i was doing some research and found a site that says chemical exposure and or high stress could be a factor and some drugs like Trazodone( which i have taken for over 8 years now..) I am already 70%PTSD and IU and PT should i even bother to file a claim? most likley secondary to the PTSD due to the fact that i have been taking the Trazodone for many many years?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

Well robert51, I was told that at my age, psoriasis was caused by a weakened immune system. Good luck getting the VA to make that connection & AO. I had psoriasis for the first time in my life, a year before my metastatic upper respiratory cancer was diagnosed. I filed a claim for AO in July 2008. I'm waiting for the denial letter, so I can get on with the NOD. RE: Psoriasis and stress and PTSD. It appears prima facie to me, however good luck with the VA. Are you 20 yr. protected with your sc disability?... Reopening a claim can also open a can of worms for you. Your new claim for AO could trigger a new PTSD C&P. Some people say don't rock the boat. I don't like threats, so I filed for AO recently, however I'm twenty year protected on all my other sc disabilities.

Well robert51, I was told that at my age, psoriasis was caused by a weakened immune system. Good luck getting the VA to make that connection & AO. I had psoriasis for the first time in my life, a year before my metastatic upper respiratory cancer was diagnosed. I filed a claim for AO in July 2008. I'm waiting for the denial letter, so I can get on with the NOD. RE: Psoriasis and stress and PTSD. It appears prima facie to me, however good luck with the VA. Are you 20 yr. protected with your sc disability?... Reopening a claim can also open a can of worms for you. Your new claim for AO could trigger a new PTSD C&P. Some people say don't rock the boat. I don't like threats, so I filed for AO recently, however I'm twenty year protected on all my other sc disabilities.

. I did not expect any percentage but maybe I will just leave it like it is... thanks for the reply... Due to my lack of trust in our government I do get every year a report from my Private doctor she fills out one of them SSD questionnaires for me and I have them going back to 2004 saying I can not work and my treatment is on going 2 times a month now for 9 years... Like a boy scout one has to always be prepared with the paperwork when dealing with the government...

• HadIt.com Elder

Agent Orange website... www.VA.gov/AgentOrangeHere is the current Agent Orange presumptive list, November, 2008, if you don't want to wait for the download at the VA website.

Health Conditions Presumptively Recognized to Date

The information contained in this article updates earlier issues of this newsletter. We are providing it again because of the high level of interest and because we know that some readers are seeing it for the first time. For more information, see www.VA.gov/AgentOrange.

The following health conditions are presumptively recognized for service connection for Vietnam veterans, based on exposure to herbicides and related materials during the Vietnam War. Vietnam veterans with one or more of these conditions do not have to show that their illness(es) is (are) related to their military service to get disability compensation. VA presumes that their condition is service-connected.

Conditions Recognized in Veterans:

1.Chloracne (must occur within 1 year of exposure to Agent Orange)

2.Non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma

3.Soft tissue sarcoma (other than osteosarcoma, chondrosarcoma, Kaposi’s sarcoma, or mesothelioma)

4.Hodgkin’s disease

5.Porphyria cutanea tarda (must occur within 1 year of exposure)

6.Multiple myeloma

7.Respiratory cancers, including cancers of the lung, larynx, trachea, and bronchus

8.Prostate cancer

9.Acute and subacute transient peripheral neuropathy (must appear within 1 year of exposure and resolve within 2 years of date of onset)

10.Type 2 diabetes

11.Chronic lymphocytic leukemia

Also, Amyloidosis (AL not ALS) was added to the AO presumptive list in November 2008.

***Thanks to VA & Berta in compiling this list

• HadIt.com Elder

Merry Christmas robert51,... May I ask how long you have been PT? As I understand it, the 10th year mark is the magic number with P&T....DIC, etc... RE; Psoriasis, Did your pcp refer you to derm. clinic? They have some good Rx for that. No need to suffer with it.

Edited by Commander Bob 92-93

• 1 year later...

I was recently diagnosed with prostate cancer (Dec 10) after 4 biopsies beginning approximately 5 yrs ago. I'm also service-connected at 0% for residuals of hepititus and alpecia areaota. I served in Vietnam 69 - 70. I also applied for other disabilities including PTSD approximately in 1994 and was denied. I was compensated by the chemical company that sprayed ao during that time and applied to VA for residuals of ao such and was denied. I would like to know with this diagnosis if it can be used to reopen the initial claim. Thanks for your help in advance.