VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Depression C&p

Rate this question

Dean

Question

• Chief Petty Officers

I went to a C&P for my depression the other day. I do not think that it went that good at all. I have considered that all of my service connected disabilities have caused my depression and my depression is getting worse. The Psychiatrist did not want to hear about all of my service connected illnesses and why they caused me to be depressed. I was even stopped several times while I was describing my problems to him. He told my in the end that he was going to only look through my military records for signs of depression, and that was all that he was going to consider. I could not get it through his thick head that I would not be so depressed if I was not disabled because of my service connected illnesses. My back was hurt (2 Back Surgeries since the military) in the Navy along with Carpal tunnel syndrome, 2 Hernia surgeries during service - 1 after service, and at that time the doctor cut a nerve causing E.D. problems. Lung problems that the military has not even considered service connected yet, - filed but not look at yet because of other things pending. Sinusitis, Rhinitis is service connected. My service connected problems equal 80% but only add up to 60% as per V.A. math. I am trying for T.D.I.U. as well as other things that they have not even worked as of yet. I hate the way that they can't work all of my cases at one time. I have put in for about 10 things at one time and some are even N.O.D'S. They have not bothered working those in Atlanta yet because the B.V.A. has been sitting on another case for 2 years. My Psychologist / Social Worker is trying to get my to stop letting me make the V.A. system run my life. I can't help it though. I can't give up the fight. I can't get to the point that I want to kill myself, because I am so depressed either. I am seeing her every week now, because my depression is so bad. She is helping me to think positive about my life but this C&P is going to drive me crazy until I see what the verdict is. I do not expect anything good to come out of it because I only have one time that I went to medical for depression. Then on my separation physical I checked off Depression and Excessive worry. The separation physical should account for something. It was never followed up and I ended up getting put into the mental ward a couple of years later at the V.A.. They put that visit down in my records as just marital problems instead of depression that caused marital problems. Then some xxxxxxx put in my records a few years later that I had personality problems ( the V.A. does not compensate for that). I just needed to vent. Maybe someone has something good to say to me that might get my hopes up. Don't do it unless you have a law to back it up though.

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Okay, Dean, here it is: Larry's Law #3

3. Don't WORRY about something when you don't KNOW what to WORRY about. You are doing what Larry calls "creative worrying", wherein you "create" something to worry about.

The answer to this particular problem:

Get thee down to the VAMC and get yourself a copy of the C&P. Go to the Medical Records department and tell them that you want a copy of all your medical records TO INCLUDE psychiatric exams and treaatment. It usually takes from 1 to 10 working days for the latest stuff to appear on your records. They'll ask you to sign a "release of medical records" form and should print out the records then and there and hand them to you.

Then and only then are you allowed to progress to Larry's Law #4.....

Larry's Law #4

4. Read the material THROUGHLY and understand what is being said. Have a cup of Kona. Pet the dog. BE NICE. Ask questions if necessary.

I went to a C&P for my depression the other day. I do not think that it went that good at all. I have considered that all of my service connected disabilities have caused my depression and my depression is getting worse. The Psychiatrist did not want to hear about all of my service connected illnesses and why they caused me to be depressed. I was even stopped several times while I was describing my problems to him. He told my in the end that he was going to only look through my military records for signs of depression, and that was all that he was going to consider. I could not get it through his thick head that I would not be so depressed if I was not disabled because of my service connected illnesses. My back was hurt (2 Back Surgeries since the military) in the Navy along with Carpal tunnel syndrome, 2 Hernia surgeries during service - 1 after service, and at that time the doctor cut a nerve causing E.D. problems. Lung problems that the military has not even considered service connected yet, - filed but not look at yet because of other things pending. Sinusitis, Rhinitis is service connected. My service connected problems equal 80% but only add up to 60% as per V.A. math. I am trying for T.D.I.U. as well as other things that they have not even worked as of yet. I hate the way that they can't work all of my cases at one time. I have put in for about 10 things at one time and some are even N.O.D'S. They have not bothered working those in Atlanta yet because the B.V.A. has been sitting on another case for 2 years. My Psychologist / Social Worker is trying to get my to stop letting me make the V.A. system run my life. I can't help it though. I can't give up the fight. I can't get to the point that I want to kill myself, because I am so depressed either. I am seeing her every week now, because my depression is so bad. She is helping me to think positive about my life but this C&P is going to drive me crazy until I see what the verdict is. I do not expect anything good to come out of it because I only have one time that I went to medical for depression. Then on my separation physical I checked off Depression and Excessive worry. The separation physical should account for something. It was never followed up and I ended up getting put into the mental ward a couple of years later at the V.A.. They put that visit down in my records as just marital problems instead of depression that caused marital problems. Then some xxxxxxx put in my records a few years later that I had personality problems ( the V.A. does not compensate for that). I just needed to vent. Maybe someone has something good to say to me that might get my hopes up. Don't do it unless you have a law to back it up though.

Dean:

Hopefully, if you have depression stated anywhere in your service med record it will sway the psych to service connect. Like Larry said, don't worry about what you can't control. I didn't feel my C&P for depression went well either, but it came back with a rating. Good luck and hang in there.

PTSD and depression causes anxiety while dealing with issues you dont control. Take a deep breath, find something to get your mind occupied on besides this and do exactly what Larry said, he is a smart man on this topic.

• HadIt.com Elder

I have never had a good C&P exam. I always have had to go to private doctors to get better evidence. The idea that only depression in your records could be valid for compensation reasons is dumb. Disabilites cause depression in many people. If you have chronic pain conditions that will cause you to feel depressed just from the medications. The C&P exam is the first bell of round one in a fight not the last.

• Chief Petty Officers

I have a MMPI test coming up from an outside source. My private psychiatrist and I set it up. I just hope that it gets done in time before the rating people make a decision. I have already sent in 2 letters from him stating that I was depressed from my illnesses. I know how these things are done. I have been around the block and this site for over 10 years. The amount of post that it shows for me is just from the last time that Theresa updated the site. I have given people some of the same advice that I have been given. I have even met Pete. He is a good person. I just have a problem listening to my own reasoning. It helps coming from other people. This site has kept me alive in my worst of times and I have even kept people on here out of bad times. The main thing is this; I am my own worst enemy when it comes to listening and doing what I should do. I can explain everything to someone else and steer them in the right direction, but I have a hard time doing it myself. Kind of like; Do as I say, Not as I do. I think a lot of us here are like that. We are able to help anyone and can tell anyone else what they need to, ut when it comes to ourselves we can't get everything right. Does anyone else have that problem?