VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Depression C&p

Rate this question

Dean

Question

• Chief Petty Officers

I went to a C&P for my depression the other day. I do not think that it went that good at all. I have considered that all of my service connected disabilities have caused my depression and my depression is getting worse. The Psychiatrist did not want to hear about all of my service connected illnesses and why they caused me to be depressed. I was even stopped several times while I was describing my problems to him. He told my in the end that he was going to only look through my military records for signs of depression, and that was all that he was going to consider. I could not get it through his thick head that I would not be so depressed if I was not disabled because of my service connected illnesses. My back was hurt (2 Back Surgeries since the military) in the Navy along with Carpal tunnel syndrome, 2 Hernia surgeries during service - 1 after service, and at that time the doctor cut a nerve causing E.D. problems. Lung problems that the military has not even considered service connected yet, - filed but not look at yet because of other things pending. Sinusitis, Rhinitis is service connected. My service connected problems equal 80% but only add up to 60% as per V.A. math. I am trying for T.D.I.U. as well as other things that they have not even worked as of yet. I hate the way that they can't work all of my cases at one time. I have put in for about 10 things at one time and some are even N.O.D'S. They have not bothered working those in Atlanta yet because the B.V.A. has been sitting on another case for 2 years. My Psychologist / Social Worker is trying to get my to stop letting me make the V.A. system run my life. I can't help it though. I can't give up the fight. I can't get to the point that I want to kill myself, because I am so depressed either. I am seeing her every week now, because my depression is so bad. She is helping me to think positive about my life but this C&P is going to drive me crazy until I see what the verdict is. I do not expect anything good to come out of it because I only have one time that I went to medical for depression. Then on my separation physical I checked off Depression and Excessive worry. The separation physical should account for something. It was never followed up and I ended up getting put into the mental ward a couple of years later at the V.A.. They put that visit down in my records as just marital problems instead of depression that caused marital problems. Then some xxxxxxx put in my records a few years later that I had personality problems ( the V.A. does not compensate for that). I just needed to vent. Maybe someone has something good to say to me that might get my hopes up. Don't do it unless you have a law to back it up though.

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Dont let the C and P doc push you around. You should stand up for yourself, always. Remember, they see tons of people each day.

Make an appointment with mental health if you have not already, get a diagnosis of depression and doc will prescribe you meds. Have your psych doc put in your chart why you feel you have depression. Ask him if he agrees with you. If it is in your record, it will have to be dealt with at C and P. Dont quit if you have this problem caused by your others.

• HadIt.com Elder

Dean

I know what others should do, but when it comes to myself I often worry I am making a bad decision. That is part of depression. I tend to see the worst of all possible outcomes of situations for myself. I fear any situation where I don't feel I am in control of my enviornment. This is due to my chronic pain disorder, and anxiety and depression. You probably suffer from some of this as well.

John

Dean,

Great to see you post buddy !

And you are right - YOU'VE BEEN THERE AND DONE IT BEFORE ! !

Did I yell it loud enough for you :) ?

Now I do not agree at all with the MMPI test (especially when it's used for sexual trauma).

You know to run out and get yourself another IMO or two, it will pay for itself

real quick.

So, how's your aches and pains ? ? ?

carlie

I think a lot of us here are like that. We are able to help anyone and can tell anyone else what they need to, ut when it comes to ourselves we can't get everything right. Does anyone else have that problem?

YEAP...I feel you!! It's one of the reasons I, myself, took a little sabatical from the forums for a season. My claims and the VARO were beginning to make me lose it. I didn't want to lose it on anyone here at hadit.com because it truly is a blessing to have this site. Found out I was in the throws of a panic attack. I'm back more regularly again and still fighting...but I'm refreshed and ready. So you hang in and be strong...lot of support here...as you already know. Hopefully, we'll share our success stories together this year. :rolleyes:

Plus, Carlie is a great resource in helping vets navigate through the claim process.

Edited by luvHIM

• HadIt.com Elder

Dean, when you posted about your c&p exam for depression feelings, felt like I was looking in a mirror of sorts. My exact story doesn't matter, but when it comes to 'self intuition, thats a horse of a another colour. I just couldn't shake 'my belief' that my depression just had to be service connected. So that belief kept me going, trying to get 'whats due', all on the behalf of my family.

Somehow, I didn't let go, c&p 'hire-a-doc' and va puzzlers aside; hung in there, even got more mdd while my mdd got connected!

I like how Carlie recognized you and its great to meet a Hadit 'pioneer' veteran! Thanks for keeping the door open.

Best to ya,

Cg'up2009!