VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Medical Reimbursement

Rate this topic

I was awarded 100% service connected disability last November. Someone mentioned that I might be able to be reimbursed for medical treatment, hospital, prescriptions, etc., not prescribed by a VA Medical Facility. I've been going to private doctors, etc., and even getting prescriptions privately. I also am prescribed liquid formula (can't eat or drink any food by mouth)...I use a stomach tube for feeding. I know that I can now go to VA and get things paid for. Just want to know if I can get reimbursed for stuff from private facilities.

Does anyone know if this is possible reimbursement from the VA?

Thank You

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

Va will not pay for prescriptions at private facilities unless it is a fee basis situation. The VA will not accept prescriptions from non VA doctors.

VA doctors can write prescriptions that can be filled at outside pharmacies.

The VA will pay for emergency medical treatment of 100 percent Vets.

If the Vet has health insurance that pays, Then all bets are off.

J

Va will not pay for prescriptions at private facilities unless it is a fee basis situation. The VA will not accept prescriptions from non VA doctors.

VA doctors can write prescriptions that can be filled at outside pharmacies.

The VA will pay for emergency medical treatment of 100 percent Vets.

If the Vet has health insurance that pays, Then all bets are off.

J

If I have private Health Insurance now can I still see VA doctors and use their facilities? Especially for second opinion. I no longer speak, eat, drink...and it would be nice to get a second opinion. And VA might pick up what my insurance doesn't....like, renting of medical equipment and maybe some in home care?

• HadIt.com Elder

If you are 100 percent you can use the VA but you are not legally bound to do so, I like using them as they have in most cases treated me fairly well.

You should seek the best care that is available to you.

Hang in there. I had an uncle that had the same procedure you did.

J

• HadIt.com Elder
If I have private Health Insurance now can I still see VA doctors and use their facilities? Especially for second opinion. I no longer speak, eat, drink...and it would be nice to get a second opinion. And VA might pick up what my insurance doesn't....like, renting of medical equipment and maybe some in home care?

Yes, you can.

And, they will provide the medical equipment.......all you need to do is talk to your VA Primary Physician and he/she just needs to write a "prescription", prescribing the use of this medical equipment.

And, if you are 100%, then you need to be receiving in-home care, if that is what you need. Communicate with the VBA (Veteran's Benefit) folks at your local VA Medical Center......they'll help you to receive these benefits......or, at least that's what they are SUPPOSED to do.

And, now that you are 100%, there should be no billing, by the VA, to your private health insurance.

By-the-way, do you have Medicare? You are obviously qualified to receive it, along with the Social Security Disability Insurance monthly payments.