VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

70% Ptsd Getting New Psychiatrist

Rate this question

nlualum82

Question

I was rated 70% for PTSD quickly the first time.

My Psychiatrist transferred after quite awhile with him, and I have been in touch on occassion via the number he gave me for emergencies.

Wednesday I have an appointment with a new Dr. who has filled his slot.

I have extreme anxiety about anything, and this is my current main focus.

I wonder if he'll lower my rating, or I wonder if he'll have the family guns rounded up and taken away.

Uncertainty and waiting are not strong positions for me.

I have been honest, but sometimes wonder if I could have told more - but didn't because I didn't want to be confined or anything.

I work at the post office, and not surprisingly, would rather be on USPS disability retirement/SS/100% VA, but I also have something holding me back from any admissions of "homicidal or suicidal ideation".

I'm sure everyone has unintentional thoughts.

I take 3 10mg. Prozacs every night as I rise for the night shift. I never had a profound feeling that they were having an effect, but have tried to be positive about treatment. Perhaps I need something more or stronger - maybe Dr. Rahe will be the one to tell me that.

I'm 50 and rated 90 % as follows:

70% PTSD with a GAF of 45

50% bilateral hearing loss

10% otitis externa

10% tinnitus

10% L knee injury (thrown from a jeep rollover)

10% L knee degenerative osteoarthritis

I will probably request another re-evaluation of my hearing within the next 18 months. I think it would be higher if I tested now, but even an increase to 70% however unlikely, would not get me rounded to 100%

Everything else is pretty much locked in to where it belongs.

I am now eligible for retirement in 5 years, 4 months, 1 week and 2 days. Of course I can't really afford to retire then, or bite on an early retirement plan (which I haven't been eligible for yet), so I'm just in limbo.

I have been advised to get out and file, but I can't afford to miss a paycheck - and go through prolonged uncertainty and waiting.

I don't know if there's a question in there, or really why I've been feeling I had to write this post. Maybe I just want to hear what your thoughts are on changeing Psychiatrists, etc.

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

I was a postal employee who retired on disability. It does take some time to get all the ducks in a row. You can get the disability retirement pretty easy, but SSD and VA TDIU may take longer and are less certain. If you can keep working that is probably good as it keeps you connected to the world. Just be honest with the new shrink. I don't think a treating shrink will be interested in trying to reduce you. They only want to treat you.

• HadIt.com Elder

x

x

x

Just go for the meds, and remember that he has to earn your trust! ~Wings

• HadIt.com Elder

Most of the shrinks at Dallas VA are really interns and not much help to chronic problems. Just my opinion. They really don't have the time needed to be much help cause of the short staffing so its a mess.

If you have not considered it group may be a way to get some help.

• HadIt.com Elder

I see my VA shrink once every three months. He hardly remembers my name. We both know that therapy is out of the question, so he just tells me jokes and updates my prescriptions. At least my shrink does not pretend to be doing therapy. Four visits a year is a joke.

Met the new guy today. Hard to get a read on, especially since I'm not the most intuitive person around.

I am dwelling a bit on him noting that I was rated for depression and asking about any improvement.

Scheduling me again in about 6 weeks.