VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

100% Convalesant

Rate this question

Done wit this

Question

I figure Some-one On here had to have gone through this besides Me ..

How long Until VA pays Me the 100% rate for down Time after surgery?

Thanks

Macool

Edited by macool

• Answers 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

What is necessary for a successful convalescent rating.

What I had to do is get the copies of My surgery report from the Hospital and send them in They need to know when where what and The surgery Report I would believe covers it all

When should re-evaluation for increased benefit begin.

I think it would be the same day as surgery but Not sure on this One...

Maybe one of the Elders can answer this..Could be when we file..I know that in order for you to claim an intire month the surgey has to be done on or before the 10th of the month..

Its another process..Hurry up and wait..

Send this to where and with what form. Or just a generic hello letter send me money?

Thanks

Well, I think I might have opened up the proverbial can-o-worms...at least I hope. I just contacted Congressman Patrick McHenry's office to see if this would speed up the process for my claim. The DTA time expired a month ago, plus I even gave the VA in Winston-Salem an additional 30 days. How nice of me. I think that we are all in agreement that if 100% Temp Comp is not paid during the time that we are on convalescent, then what good is it? I have been "surviving" on my current 40% and the paltry amount that my employer contributes. But enough is enough already. I've stretched every penny to the breaking point, zinc only stretches so far. I'll keep everyone posted on the results.

Here is the latest response from the VA through IRIS. Best of luck to me...I'll bet.

Response (Department of Veterans Affairs)03/10/2009 04:51 PM Dear Mr. Millard:

This is in response to your March 10, 2009 inquiry.

We are sorry to learn that you are experiencing such difficult circumstances.

Our records indicate that your claim for temporary 100% disability due to status post nephrectomy with hypertension was opened January 29, 2009 and is in development at the Winston-Salem Regional Office.

Unfortunately, the VA does not have a program which provides emergency financial assistance. However, we advise you may wish to call Eric Robinson, Lincoln County Veterans Services contact at 1-704-736-8506 to request guidance regarding your situation. Hopefully he will have some information that will prove helpful to you.

We have attached VA Form 21-4138, Statement in Support of Claim, to print and submit with attached copies of eviction notices, and/or final notices for utilities, etc. to the Winston-Salem RO and request your claim for increase be expedited due to financial hardship. The RO fax number is 1-366-631-5403.

We are sorry that we are unable to provide you with the immediate financial assistance you seek. Thank you for your honorable service to our country. Best of luck to you.

Thank you for contacting us. If you have questions or need additional help with the information in our reply, please respond to this message or see our other contact information below.

Sincerely yours,

E. J. Kruse

National IRIS Response Center Manager

tlr

How to contact VA:

On line: www.va.gov

By phone:

1-800-827-1000

1-800-829-4833 (TDD hearing impaired)

By mail:

Department of Veterans Affairs

Regional Office

Federal Building, 251N. Main Street

Winston-Salem, NC 27155 Inquirer03/10/2009 09:19 AM I am inquiring about the status of my claim for 100% conalescent disability compensation. I have no source of income due to the surgery that I had performed at VAMC Asheville 1/14/2009. I am in desperate need of a decision and funding on my claim. I am beyond financial hardship now. I cannot pay rent, utilities, bills or buy food. What can be done to get a determination now? Can I get some form of financial assistance from the VA now? Not something that takes 30, 60, or 90 days, I need help now!

Response (Department of Veterans Affairs)01/29/2009 09:52 AM Dear Mr. Millard:

Thank you for your inquiry to the Department of Veteran Affairs. I have forwarded your claim to the Development Department for processing.

Thank you for contacting us. If you have questions or need additional help with the infomation in our reply, please respond to this message or see our other contact information below.

Sincereley yours,

R.S. Burke Jr.

Veteran Service Center Manager

How to Contact the VA

By phone: 1-800-827-1000

By letter: U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs

251 North Main Street

Winston Salem, NC 27155

//as Inquirer01/26/2009 07:08 PM I have had a 50% reduction in pay from my employer since 11/11/2009 as a result of this complication. My employer has been generous enough to keep me employed, however, due to the nature of my position, I am paid by production. I have been a mechanic since 1999. This complication prevents me from performing the majority of my duties as a mechanic. I can no longer perform the heavy lifting required by the position. I can send a copy of my company's job description for this position as well as pay stubs from befor and after I suffered this condition. Response (Department of Veterans Affairs)01/26/2009 04:03 PM Dear Mr. Millard:

We have accepted your online inquiry as a formal claim for temporary 100% convalescence care. We have forwarded your inquiry to the Winston-Salem Regional Office and asked them to add this contention to your existing claim for increase, you will be notified via US Mail of the information needed to further process your claim.

Thank you for contacting us. If you have questions or need additional help with the information in our reply, please respond to this message or see our other contact information below.

Sincerely yours,

E. J. Kruse

National IRIS Response Center Manager

PMP

How to Contact VA:

By phone: 1-800-827-1000

By Mail:

Winston-Salem Regional Office

Federal Building, 251N. Main Street

Winston-Salem, NC 27155

Fax: 336-631-5403 Inquirer01/26/2009 10:47 AM I have had surgery performed for a service-connected disability on 01/14/2009 at VAMC Asheville. I have been out of work since that date. My doctor released me from the hospital 01/16/2009 to remain at home for an undetermined amount of time with a weight restriction of 5 lbs. How do I apply for temporary 100% disability during my convalescent period? This is a huge financial strain as I have no income. I need help ASAP.

Seems to me that your Temp 100% claim has been coupled in with you other pending claims (I am assuming you have other claims pending by what you have said).

The VA accepted your initial inquiry as a claim for Temporary 100%. They should, by law, accept you letest inquiries as a financial hardship. I don't know why they suddenly didn't do so. There is nothing special that you have to fill out for the hardship. You just have to say so in most cases (I say most cases because they haven't accepted your latest that way).

Do you have documentation of the hardship (i.e. eviction notice, final notifications on bills, etc.)? If so, send them immediately. Otherwise, I would pound IRIS into the dirt with inquiries. That is just plain wrong!!

Meddac,

As usual, I greatly appreciate your insight and contributions. Yes, the VA did combine my claims.

Here is a brief history:

11/7/08-suffered an abdominal wall herniation causing an incarcerated colon. Location of hernia is at the original surgical site from my right nephrectomy done 7/94 while stationed in Okinawa.

11/11/08-examined by my personal physician, sent to hospital for CAT and MRI. Received all records and scans for VA.

11/12/08-reported to VAMC Salisbury, where doctor refused to acknowledge the medical information I had, quick visual exam and reported nothing wrong, have a nice day. I immediately contacted DAV, who suggested I try VAMC Asheville.

11/24/08-first appointment at VAMC Asheville. Doctor examined me and all medical documents. Scheduled me that day for surgical consult. Also noted that my BP was high. After review of my past VA medical records, he noted that my BP had been elevated at all other appointments since 1995. He immediately diagnosed hypertension, and prescribed meds. I guess the VA took this as a formal claim for hypertension. I did not file for it, because my main concern was getting the hernia fixed. The hypertension claim could have come later.

1/14/09-had surgery performed for the hernia, Three days, and I was homefor two to three months recovery. Doctor had follow ups for the next two weeks to remove staples and monitor healing.

I was told by the VA that the 100% Temp would be automatic, because of the surgery...duhh. I believed them only because of what had happened with the "automatic" formal claim for hypertension back in 11/08.

1/26/09-just to cover my butt, I contacted the VA through IRIS, just to clarify 100% Temp claim proceedures. As you can see from my earlier post, I guess that train-wrecked the whole process.

In my opinion, the whole process should have been reversed. Automatic filing for the 100% for the surgery, and let me file the claim for hypertension. Am I wrong here?

Oh, I forgot to mention that I do have the original surgical narrative from 1994 that clearly states that I have hypertension, yet this was ignored on my exit physical and by the VA from 1995-2008. My major concern for the hypertension is the plain and evident fact that I have one kidney.

PS- I had an 11" scar from the original surgery. The VA just added another 24" to it.