VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Stirring It Up At The Dayton Vamc....again

Rate this question

purple

Question

Many of you know by now that I'm not likely to sit by and take "stuff". I fired off an IRIS complaint last evening (again) about the continuing lack of treatment for Military Sexual Trauma (MST) PTSD for women at the Dayton VA. I've been a pt there for well over 10 years now and the lack of treatment continues to astound me. It shouldn't because I'm dealing with the VA....but in a way, it still does when I see what else the Dayton VAMC applies its priorities to.

Today, I received a reply from Connie LaRosa in Washington DC. Her and I often e-mail about what is (or isn't) going on at Dayton as far as treatment for women vets go....here is her lame, political answer this time:

Ms. Xxxxxxx: I understand your concern over the unavailability at this time of a womens MST PTSD program. My understanding is that there has been a turnover in staff and they are currently trying to recruit someone for the MST/PTSD womens program. It is an inconvenience to our women veterans when this occurs, but unfortunately we cant always control staff turnover. They are advertising for a replacement but because this is a special program, it often takes time to find the best applicant for the position. Providing high quality care to women veterans is a priority of the Dayton VA. I have put Ms. Maritha Trass, the Women Veterans Program Manager at Dayton on this message. She will be getting in touch with you regarding this issue. I know everything is being done by Dayton to correct this situation. Thank you for contacting us.

Wow...is that a load of BS or what?? I've spoken with Ms. Trass numerous times and she is worthless....she is TDY (for training) more often than she is at work. I call her often and she never returns my calls, so I skip over her.

The "turnover in staff" she is referring to is my former RN-person that I used to see as a tdoc. They have long since replaced her. But they haven't found anyone to take on the job as coordinator for the Women's MST PTSD program (a required position at all VAMCs now). Here is my reply to both:

Connie & Maritha,

The major issue here is that this isn't a new problem! How many times I have brought this to your attention? To Maritha's attention? Too many times. There has never been a formal MST PTSD program at the Dayton VA. They have attempted some informal women's groups using a model that is being used at the Cincinnati VA, but that didn't last long. There is currently a women's group being held, but it is not for MST...it's for any form of PTSD. I expressed that it's not a comfortable environment to share such sensitive information in, but I was told that this was how the group would be. I haven't returned to the group.

It's very clear that the Dayton VAMC is not at all interested in helping women vets with MST PTSD. I've been fighting this battle for far too many years and it's gotten beyond ridiculous.

And, very quickly.....Connie LaRose just replied back:

Ms. Xxxxxxxx: I do believe Dayton is interested in the issues you present but they are also trying to meet the needs of many women veterans. To have a group for PTSD is becoming quite common because many of our women veterans have been exposed to different types of trauma. Although grouping them together is not always ideal, it is often necessary to have enough women to form a group. I believe they do want to work with you and try and meet your individual needs. However, we have to do that with the staff and resources we have available.

I tell you guys....I'm about ready to explode!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Answers 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Medicine on the cheap is the bottom line.

Good Luck on your quest.

I hope that you have a sympathetic Congress Critter.

I've had no luck with my Congress critter...but it won't stop me from writing...and calling...and e-mailing! With the women's vet's convention coming up here in April...I'm thinking about contacting the POC at the govenor's office, she and I spoke last year and she a vet and has the govenor's ear. Oh yes, there's an idea...

Carlie,

That's odd.....that's the number to the Dayton VAMC.

The plots thickens.

Now all of a sudden, the Dayton VAMC has hired a women's MST PTSD coordinator and she is "awaiting her credentials" before she begins work.

Wow....am I good or what??? LMAO!! I asked the Women's coordinator at Dayton why would no one bother to tell me this all along? Why the lousy communication? Her response was that she would ask and find out....I responded back to her..."Who are you going to ask...it's you I'm talking about?"...........................................Ouch.

Oh yes, her boss in Washington is addressed on all these e-mails as well. No wonder my records are flagged...

• HadIt.com Elder

Credentials have never been a problem for the VA before. I have dealt with unlicensed Docs and tech's many times at Dallas VAMC.

• HadIt.com Elder

My wife was told the same thing here in Tampa about the VA not having people to treat women. She wanted to use her ChampVA at the VA. Same/same for female vets.