VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Cardiology Consult Today

Rate this topic

I had a long-awaited cardiology consult today at the Dayton VA. I have quite a cardiac history and hadn't been to see the cardio-doc in a while. Finally got a consult after having a significant increase in chest pains and associated symptoms over the past several months...actually almost a year.

They did the EKG. The nurse asked me a few questions (had no knowledge of my cardiac history)...so I tried to fill him in...he scolded me on my nitro use and not calling 911 when I'm supposed to--my bad.

Then I saw the doc.....he was more clueless than the nurse. He also had zero knowledge of my history (so much for that fancy electronic record-keeping system)...and he really didn't seem to care. He asked nothing about what meds I was on....nothing about the type of chest pain I had.

He only said my EKG was normal and that since I was a woman it was likely my chest pain was due to stress.............OMFG! Oh yes he did. He said....and I quote "Chest pain in women is more likely associated with stress than it is in men."

What an ass!!!

I was speechless.....I was too pissed off to talk. He said if I really wanted though, he would schedule me for a treadmill test, I said yes.

I'm so pissed......I'm actually shaking and can't stop.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

"I'm so pissed......I'm actually shaking and can't stop."

That's because of all that built-up, pent-up female stress!

okay---okay---I'm sorry----just couldn't help meself!

am I forgiven?

Yes Larry.....you are forgiven.

I'm thinking......they really want me to call 911 everytime I go past the dose I'm supposed to take of nitro? Maybe I will and maybe then the VA will get tired of paying for the ambulance runs to a real hospital....to see a real cardiologist....

:D :D :D :D

• HadIt.com Elder

Purple. you stay on top of this. A lot of women have heart attacks and are often overlooked because some Quack wrote a book and put percentages per heart attack to males lower and related it to stress.

Then the Docs learn this crap in Med school and instead of believing in the patient they believe in the book.

It sucks when they dont pay attention to your history and if it is long then they are just too lazy or too busy to read it.

I am one who makes them close the book.

I know the doc you need to see.

But again, he is in LEX.

J

It's both scary and frustrating....

This jerk asked me if there was a family hx of heart problems...I said "no", not in my immediate family, but my grandparents on both sides had lots of various heart-related issues. He didn't ask what. He didn't ask about my HBP. He told me I had no risk factors!! What??? I've had 2 cardiac ablation procedures!! I may not be at risk for blockages...but I do have a significant history for cardiac arrithymias--something I have a feeling this guy knows nothing about if it slapped him in the manhood.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Purple,

Your doctor is worthless.

He is probably pissed off because he actually has to see patients.

Obviously, he doesn't think of you as a patient, just a stack of cells that keeps him off of the golf course.

sledge