VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Question For Women

Rate this topic

Have a question about the ever-loved annual PAP test. Yup guys....if you are reading, I warned you!

Had mine about 3 weeks ago. Got a call today from the women's clinic saying that it was "abnormal". All she (the receptionist) told me was "don't worry, it's not cancer". I've never, ever had an abnormal PAP....I'm 44. The lady said the doc wants to repeat it in 3 months. 3 months??? Really?

There is no Gyn-doc at the Dayon VA (something else I've been fighting for, for several years). Not even sure what specialty this doc is...they just grabbed a female doc to work the women's clinic.

Anyway....family history: sister had uterine cancer, neice with pre-cancerous tumors removed from uterus and ovary, both sisters and mother had to have hysterectomies. It's all in my records. And they still want to wait 3 months?

They called late in the afternoon, the receptionist had no details....the doc wasn't available....so now I have to wait until Monday to find out just what the hell is going on.

Have I mentioned lately how much I hate the Dayton VA????

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

Do you have other insurance to get a second pap test to make sure it is not a false positive? The VA told me I had severe ischemia based on a stress test, and then I had another test and they said "not". You should definitely have another test to verify the first test in my humble opinion.

Nope, no other insurance. I am going to see if they will re-new my fee-base gyn doc though. I had gyn surgery in Dec 07 from a real, civilian doc...in a real, civilian hospital. It took me 18 months to get the VA to approve that!!!

I also have an unusual symptom of my cycles stopping and I'm not in menopause. Could be from the surgery...could be something else.

I really don't need this right now on top of everything else!!!!

• HadIt.com Elder

Purple, annual exams can be conducted by a nurse practioner or another doctor at the VA. If there was a survey about how many gyns Drs. are at clinics, I imagine it to be less than 20 countrywide. If checked, the VA will probably come back with something like an agreement with a military base hospital or fee'basis providers. Mammograms are similar, the VA is not 'equipped' to conduct those in most clinics, CT scans and other specialized tests are fee basis at times too. Our womens va cooridinator is a veteran employed by the va. (double duty) but not impartial in my eyes. Dont think she's a GS-9 even.

As far as notification, being contacted by the receptionist and told by telephone on a FRIDAY, my opinion, that's just wrong.I say Grrrrr!!! Wait till I tell my husband that, he'll recall the time I was over at a doctors office at opening time for something 'similar'. They learned my name.

I get notices by mail after a womans appointment(s) but dont recall getting a personal message. You must be special. usually I get a form letter, 30 days later, after my parts have 'recovered' from whats deemed necessary 'attention'. Form letter reads with 3 lines and checkbox for each. A checkmark made by pen next to "there is no reason to worry and everything is normal". Checkmark? How reassuring is that? not very, but better than nothing. Figure its a cya on behalf of agency VA pays for service.

Hey, purple, you deserve a little bit of chocolate and a cuppa tea. + o + !

Take care,

Cg'up2009!

at the Va med center (including mammograms) seem to be handled by nursepractioners, or other docs

Nope, no other insurance. I am going to see if they will re-new my fee-base gyn doc though. I had gyn surgery in Dec 07 from a real, civilian doc...in a real, civilian hospital. It took me 18 months to get the VA to approve that!!!

I also have an unusual symptom of my cycles stopping and I'm not in menopause. Could be from the surgery...could be something else.

I really don't need this right now on top of everything else!!!!

Edited by cowgirl

Purple, check your messages, I sent you one regarding this post.

Have a question about the ever-loved annual PAP test. Yup guys....if you are reading, I warned you!

Had mine about 3 weeks ago. Got a call today from the women's clinic saying that it was "abnormal". All she (the receptionist) told me was "don't worry, it's not cancer". I've never, ever had an abnormal PAP....I'm 44. The lady said the doc wants to repeat it in 3 months. 3 months??? Really?

There is no Gyn-doc at the Dayon VA (something else I've been fighting for, for several years). Not even sure what specialty this doc is...they just grabbed a female doc to work the women's clinic.

Anyway....family history: sister had uterine cancer, neice with pre-cancerous tumors removed from uterus and ovary, both sisters and mother had to have hysterectomies. It's all in my records. And they still want to wait 3 months?

They called late in the afternoon, the receptionist had no details....the doc wasn't available....so now I have to wait until Monday to find out just what the hell is going on.

Have I mentioned lately how much I hate the Dayton VA????

When my exams are normal, I get the form letter. I was beginning to wonder this time when I didn't get the "all clear" letter.

Yes, at the Dayton VA, our mammos are done at a civilian hospital. But with the increasing # of women vets nationwide, there is no reason why each VAMC shouldn't have a Gyn on staff either full-time or part-time as the female pt population warrants.