VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Inappropriate Group Discussions?

Rate this question

purple

Question

If you are upset by or sensitive to discussions of homosexual topics; this could be triggering to you. Just be forewarned. Thank-you.

I was participating in a PTSD Women's group recently at the VAMC. The focus of the group was supposed to be trauma issues. During one group mtg a group member mentioned that she was/is homosexual. No big deal. Another group member made mention of the same...again, no big deal. However, they kept talking about their lifestyles and preferences throughout the group. I found it odd as I thought the group was about trauma. The tdoc said nothing.

The following week, one of these members made a very disturbing comment about having fantasies of a particular young girl she used to watch on TV and described what she was wearing, etc. Again, the tdoc said nothing.

I've never returned to the group. In my last appt with this tdoc I told her that I found this extremely disturbing and why didn't she do anything about it during group? Her comment was that there was nothing wrong with this other vets comments and that I should be prepared for diverse conversation during groups.

Really?

Am I way off base here or is my tdoc off her rocker????

• Answers 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Purple:

If the facilitator allows it not much you can do. You left the Group. That is a statement. I been in quite a few groups and I can't recall sexual orientation or fantasies coming up. Maybe you should have requested that the group decide if the subject was appropriate. My experience in Group has been that usually one or two have pretty much control of the group. When I was in if I did not care about the discussion I just tuned out.

Larry-

Yes I read the other post & that is too bad as it seems you faced a similar problem in your group. Good luck as I see you intend on returning to your group.

Getting "off-topic" in group is a big pet-peeve of mine. I let this be known to the group and the tdoc when we first begin to meet, and at other times when over half of our group time was spent off-topic. But guess that feel on deaf ears.

• HadIt.com Elder

x

x

x

Purple, The time to speak up and talk, about your feelings, was in the Group Meeting. Why not? ~Wings