VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Inappropriate Group Discussions?

Rate this question

purple

Question

If you are upset by or sensitive to discussions of homosexual topics; this could be triggering to you. Just be forewarned. Thank-you.

I was participating in a PTSD Women's group recently at the VAMC. The focus of the group was supposed to be trauma issues. During one group mtg a group member mentioned that she was/is homosexual. No big deal. Another group member made mention of the same...again, no big deal. However, they kept talking about their lifestyles and preferences throughout the group. I found it odd as I thought the group was about trauma. The tdoc said nothing.

The following week, one of these members made a very disturbing comment about having fantasies of a particular young girl she used to watch on TV and described what she was wearing, etc. Again, the tdoc said nothing.

I've never returned to the group. In my last appt with this tdoc I told her that I found this extremely disturbing and why didn't she do anything about it during group? Her comment was that there was nothing wrong with this other vets comments and that I should be prepared for diverse conversation during groups.

Really?

Am I way off base here or is my tdoc off her rocker????

• Answers 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I have no problem with another's sexuality. I have no desire to interfere with another's bedroom practices. However, I keep my heterosexuality in my bedroom, and I would like to see everyone else do the same. That said, I see nothing wrong light public displays of affection, or crude sexual comments in a group of friends. A PTSD group therapy session doesn't qualify as a group of friends IMHO. I think you should have said something during the group to let these women know you were uncomfortable. If that doesn't work, then start talking about your sexual fantasies with whatever male you want to. If you don't have any...make it up as you go. If they don't like it, get even raunchier... ;)

I have no problem with another's sexuality. I have no desire to interfere with another's bedroom practices. However, I keep my heterosexuality in my bedroom, and I would like to see everyone else do the same. That said, I see nothing wrong light public displays of affection, or crude sexual comments in a group of friends. A PTSD group therapy session doesn't qualify as a group of friends IMHO. I think you should have said something during the group to let these women know you were uncomfortable. If that doesn't work, then start talking about your sexual fantasies with whatever male you want to. If you don't have any...make it up as you go. If they don't like it, get even raunchier... ;)

Very good response rentalguy, That should take care of any problems in the group. I totally agree.

• HadIt.com Elder

Except that in a PTSD group of Sexual Assault and Rape victims, the conversational fantasies would be more of retrobutional fantasies, and not with sexual overtures. IMO. ~Wings

Oh no, this comment was clearly a sexual fantasy comment. Here it is...One of the ladies in the group commented how she missed watching the Mickey Mouse Show because she missed seeing the young girls on there in their tight sweaters. Ewwwwwww...she then went on to describe "perky" parts of their bodies.

This woman is in her 60s. I wanted to hurl.

• HadIt.com Elder
Oh no, this comment was clearly a sexual fantasy comment. Here it is...One of the ladies in the group commented how she missed watching the Mickey Mouse Show because she missed seeing the young girls on there in their tight sweaters. Ewwwwwww...she then went on to describe "perky" parts of their bodies.

Ahhhh, yes, Annette.........she had "perky parts".... ;)

• HadIt.com Elder

I belive you Purple, just saying that in a PTSD Therapy Group, I (like you), prolly wouldn't want to waste anybody's time with Micky Mouse Fantasies. ~Wings