VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd Meds

Rate this topic

HI, it's me. I just came back from my PCP, he did prescribe me Zoloft 100mg. I am supposed to start by taking 1/2 pill for one week and then take a whole 100mg pill after that daily. What should I expect in you guys opinion. He told me it should help with my sleep and other things. I thought I would just ask some people who have been or are taking this med. I also let him know that the Ambien Cr was not doing the job for me, average of 4 hours of sleep at night with that. Any experience would be kindly welcomed. I also still am taking Prazosin and Valium but asked for no more IB 800's and Tyleno 3's because they were not working as well as I thought they should.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi-

I took Zoloft a long time ago....I'm a "med-resistent" type person, so it didn't do much for me. I hope that you find some benefit from it.

Just remember, there are no meds for PTSD per se....only meds for associated symptoms. I know that some VA docs like to say "this is for PTSD"....no, it's not. It might be for the depression or the anxiety or the sleeplessness that goes along with it.

Be sure to look up your new med on a good medical website and check all of your medication interactions each time you are prescribed a new med by the VA....just google "drug-drug interactions" and pick one. You'd be amazed what the VA doesn't tell you!

OK...I'll get off my "be careful with meds" soapbox now. I feel like a mother hen......

HI, it's me. I just came back from my PCP, he did prescribe me Zoloft 100mg. I am supposed to start by taking 1/2 pill for one week and then take a whole 100mg pill after that daily. What should I expect in you guys opinion. He told me it should help with my sleep and other things. I thought I would just ask some people who have been or are taking this med. I also let him know that the Ambien Cr was not doing the job for me, average of 4 hours of sleep at night with that. Any experience would be kindly welcomed. I also still am taking Prazosin and Valium but asked for no more IB 800's and Tyleno 3's because they were not working as well as I thought they should.

i have taken it for over 8 years no problem i also take serquie or something like that 550 mg... sometimes i sleep good sometimes i dont want to wake up so who knowssss

"Just remember, there are no meds for PTSD per se....only meds for associated symptoms. I know that some VA docs like to say "this is for PTSD"....no, it's not. It might be for the depression or the anxiety or the sleeplessness that goes along with it.

Be sure to look up your new med on a good medical website and check all of your medication interactions each time you are prescribed a new med by the VA....just google "drug-drug interactions" and pick one. You'd be amazed what the VA doesn't tell you!"

This is the best advice you will ever get!!!!

i took Prazosin for nightmares. It worked better for me than any of the SSRI's

My Dad who has PTSD loves his Zoloft. The SSRI's do very weird things to me. They tried them all on me. In all cases i was told not to expect any changes until it built up in my bloodstream. However with in 45 minutes of taking them i started to feel very strange. All of them made me shiver and lowered my body temp: ice cold fingers, teeth chattering, and a need to wear heavy sweaters in FL when it was 90 degree's. The doc's would say: Keep taking them. But at some point i had to ask what good if any were they doing except making me sick.

Zoloft was the worse for me. One pill on my birthday and i had to lock myself inside my house for two days...it took me to that place where we never want to go: i was a danger to myself and others.