VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Space A Travel For 100% P&t

I was reading that there is a bill trying to be passed allowing space a travel for disabled vets. Has anyone heard if this bill was passed or may get passed? Also, are we allowed to use billeting on bases or places like Bellows Beach in Hawaii? Vicky

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

Uhm, sweettator are you on planet earth. Never heard anything about disabled vet getting a free ride to the mothersip. Geez, it cost several hundred k, just to get your ashes spread in space. Maybe its a ploy and they will gives a one way ticket into space on a freight spaceship (called ship-o-plenty). to never return to collect any bennys. Think I;ll stay on earth and consolult with major tom. :D

T&B

T&B,

Not sure if your post is serious or not since you were in the Army but just in case you were serious - I think sweettator meant Space A as in Space Available which is what we all had (whether or not we knew it, I was on a post that had an Air Base next to it) when we were on active duty. We could ride Space A on the Air Force planes if there was a seat available on the plane. Lots of GIs would use it to go over to Germany. The only problem with Space A is that you may get somewhere and not have a flight with any Space A seats on it when you want to get home so you may have to purchase a ticket home.

However, if you are flexible in your departure and return and don't mind riding in a red net seat then Space A travel is a great way to see the world.

Go Army!

TS Snave

Edited by tssnave

• HadIt.com Elder

Well, I don't exactly know how I did it......but, I guess it is "at the discretion of the Base Commander"....but, the wife and I just went to Las Vegas a couple of months ago on the General's Gulfstream. I was just out at the Fort Worth NAS and Joint Reserve Base and mentioned that I wish we could just leave town for the weekend and the next thing I know this friend of mine has me standing at the counter with this really nice E5. All I had to show 'em was my MWR card and, bingo, the next day (Friday) we took off at 0800 for Nellis AFB and returned at 1800 on Sunday. No net seats on that bird. Wife made me put on a coat and tie.

I could get used to bein' a O8......nice work if you can get it.

I was reading that there is a bill trying to be passed allowing space a travel for disabled vets. Has anyone heard if this bill was passed or may get passed? Also, are we allowed to use billeting on bases or places like Bellows Beach in Hawaii? Vicky

The bill is being put up again this year I read it in this weeks AF time. It is being sponsierd by Sen Daniel Inouye D-Hawaii. The bill he is sponsring is S66 for space avabile flights. You can connect your senators and ask them to sign on. I don't see what the problem is is does not cost the DOD a dime to allow a disabled Vet Space A travel. You will be a priorty six like us ROFS from the miltiray(retired old folks) who are retired. This bill might have a chance this year due to the good senator now being made the chairmen of the apporaptions commitee which overseas all funding for federal agenceys.

Jim

Source Air Force Times

date 16 feb 09 page 6