VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Tdiu And Ssdi

Rate this question

CAVscoutIII

Question

I am currently in the waiting game with the VA over a claim for TDIU and in the process was awarded SSDI. I will soon get the award letter in the mail but will not receive payments until July. Would it be beneficial to submit the award letter as additional evidence to my claim. I do not yet know the merits on which I was awarded SSDI, if they were to base the award on something I am not service connected for would it make my claim look bad? I am 70% PTSD and I am trying to get Panic Disorder as a secondary claim, but that has not yet been approved, I'm concerned they approved SSDI on the Panic Disorder since my most recent notes made more mention of this diagnosis than any other. I just don't want to throw anything in the pot that could confuse a rater and make him throw the whole thing out. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Cav. not sure, after I got ssdi somewhere around here I learned to ask the ssa for a specific form that showed the primary/secondary conditions that disabled me. They were sc so I applied for iu with them. Hope you can get a letter also, it should help.

Best to ya

Cg'up2009!

Guest terrysturgis

Cav, your profile says 80% so you definatly meet the requirement for applying for TDIU. As you are 80% VA disabled I would definitely let the VA know that you won SSDI because you can not win SSDI unless you can't work. Therefore the last two letters in TDIU, Individual Unemployability. Your SSDI decision would be great evidence to provide to the VA as proof of IU. I understand your concern that your VA award is for PTSD and SSDI might be for panic disorder. My opinion is you are 80% PTDS and SS has determined you can not work so the two together add up to TDIU. Good luck. Terry

I am currently in the waiting game with the VA over a claim for TDIU and in the process was awarded SSDI. I will soon get the award letter in the mail but will not receive payments until July. Would it be beneficial to submit the award letter as additional evidence to my claim. I do not yet know the merits on which I was awarded SSDI, if they were to base the award on something I am not service connected for would it make my claim look bad? I am 70% PTSD and I am trying to get Panic Disorder as a secondary claim, but that has not yet been approved, I'm concerned they approved SSDI on the Panic Disorder since my most recent notes made more mention of this diagnosis than any other. I just don't want to throw anything in the pot that could confuse a rater and make him throw the whole thing out. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

I would have to say YES if your SSD award is directly a result of your Active Duty Service conditions that has left you disabled.

• HadIt.com Elder

I would submit the award letter from SSDI that gives a date of your disability. The award letter says when you became totally disabled according to SSA rules. Like Yoggie says you don't want anything in the SSA information you send the VA that is not service connected. They will latch onto the NSC information and say that is why you cannot work. They did it to me.

Where did you obtain the form to request SS regarding primary and secondary disabling conditions?

We were advised it would take 6-8 months to research. Really think that SSA just didn't want to bother.

He has SSD since 2006 - filed for TDIU about 8 months ago, no word yet except the usual every 60 day

form letters.