VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Meetings

Rate this question

mike/3/8/cav

Question

! <A style="COLOR: #000002; TEXT-DECORATION: none" href="http://www.gulfwarvets.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_profile;u=00000004" target=_blank>Gale

gifs_a2.jpg

Admin IGWC

Member # 4

Member Rated:

user_ratings_5.gif icon1.gif posteddocument.write(timestamp(new Date(2009,0,23,15,59,0), dfrm, tfrm, 0, 0, 0, 0)); January 23, 2009 03:59 PM profile_ubb6.gif email_ubb6.gif priv_message.gif edit_ubb6.gif quote_ubb6.gif From: DSNurse1@yahoo.com

Alert Alert Alert

This needs to be distributed widely

Gulf War Veterans Need to know big meetings coming outside of DC

VA Gulf War illness Research Advisory Committee will meet in DALLAS Feb 23-24

then June 29-30 Boston and Nov2-3 in DC

Meetings

See this link for more details:

http://www1.va.gov/RAC-GWVI/page.cfm?pg=21

2009 meetings of the Research Advisory Committee on Gulf War Veterans' Illnesses are currently planned for the following dates and locations:

February 23-24, 2009

Dallas, TX

June 29-30, 2009

Boston, MA

November 2-3, 2009

Washington, D.C.

Additional information will be posted here as the meeting dates approach.

The most recent Committee meeting was held November 17, 2008, in Washington, D.C. Click here for the meeting agenda.

Committee meetings are open to the public and include time reserved for public comments. A sign-up sheet for five-minute comments will be available at the meeting. Members of the public who speak are invited to submit a 1-2 page summary of their comments at the time of the meeting for inclusion in the official meeting record. Individuals do not need to preregister to attend or speak at the meeting. However, when meetings are held at VA headquarters or facilities, all attendees will be required to check in and show valid ID at the security desk.

The Committee welcomes suggestions and information from veterans, physicians, scientists, and members of the general public regarding its mission.

VA Gulf War Veterans Advisory Committee http://www1.va.gov/gulfwaradvisorycommittee/ will meet

February 18-19 in Decatur Georgia

and then March 18-19 in Waco Tx

and April in DC

April 7 - 9, 2009 - Washington, DC (venue TBD)

Laura O'Shea, Designated Federal Officer, Laura.O'shea@va.gov

Lelia Jackson, Alternate Designated Federal Officer, Lelia.jackson@va.gov

WE need every gulf war veteran and their families notified of these meetings!

There is need for Public Comment from them!

They need to write a summary include

Name

Former Rank

Unit

Location in Theater

When and what symptoms occurred

When and What happened when they went to VA for help

How was their VA Claims handled

Where did they turn next to get help

What their health is right now and problems that the spouse and family have had.

And suggestions for CHANGES

This is your chance gulf war veterans! We have had only at most half a dozen vets show up in DC, Baltimore, Seattle.....So if you have problems now is the TIME to come forward!

Have your input! Family members too!

There is time for you to be heard ie :Public Comment and also a panel is formed of veterans that are in that local VA system.

Please Distribute this as much as humanly possible with posting on Websites, getting info to radio stations for PSA's, TV station, Newspapers, Churches, post on grocery store bulletin boards, to all veterans organizations post at posts and in all newsletters to veterans. Email others to get them to spread the word to individuals they know by email or in their communities.

More Specific information on place and time schedules...go to www.va.gov and go to search on Advisory committees.

[ January 24, 2009, 05:08 AM: Message edited by: Gale ]

--------------------

HONOR OUR VETERANS WITH BETTER CARE AND BENEFITS

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

Thanks for the info Mike. Last meetings held in Dec last year I believe helped us some. Lets hope for more before its to late.

No problem bb. I am in contact with a Person who attended the one 18-19 FEB 2009.I will eventually get her notes and pass them along. More people need to attend and get involved though.

Mike TY . Hope you can keep me updated. I missed the one in DC, not enough notice. Funny thing is I live an hour away. I intend on being at the next meeting in DC. Started on new dosage of meds today, so I m feeling good.

Mike TY . Hope you can keep me updated. I missed the one in DC, not enough notice. Funny thing is I live an hour away. I intend on being at the next meeting in DC. Started on new dosage of meds today, so I m feeling good.

Here ya go.

icon1.gif posteddocument.write(timestamp(new Date(2009,1,20,18,12,0), dfrm, tfrm, 0, 0, 0, 0)); February 20, 2009 06:12 PM profile_ubb6.gif email_ubb6.gif priv_message.gif edit_ubb6.gif quote_ubb6.gif Hi Michael and all.

Due to my health, I was only able to attend the public and veteran's comments period on the last day, but it was important and I submitted my comments verbally and in writing. If I didn't have a very good friend here to help me drive and get there, I wouldn't have even been able to make that last day. Even with her help, I was forced to utilize a wheelchair by the time I walked into the main entry. See my comments here:

http://www.gulfwarcouncil.com/gulf_war_adv...mittee_meet.htm

Although they asked us to limit our comments to 5 mins with a 2-page written testimony, I gave a verbal outline of my 7-page comments and referred them to the link above for a full reading of what I had to say. The gentleman presiding over the meeting did ask for my hard-copy (7 pages (link above)) of my comments.

There were about 8-10 other folks there who gave tearful and emotion testimonies about their experiences in being denied healthcare and benefits over the years. Maj Rokke wasn't there in person, but he submitted a 14 page report on DU. I will soon post his comments, unless Ken Baker or Kidbunch beats me to it, since I think they also have copies of it by now (feel free to post it, guys wink.gif ).

I had a sense that everyone there was interested and sympathetic to the Gulf War Veterans' problems. It was heart-breaking to see how much our GW Vets need help and how long they've been suffering with a myriad of problems within the VA. I'm sure I don't have to tell our members here about it... I'd be preaching to the choir.

I passed out 30 copies of the DVD, Beyond Treason to everyone around the conference table, including panel members and veterans. I hope I was able to help get the points across there as the GW Advisory Committee is one of our main advocates on these issues.

I'll try to write and post more later. Right now I'm wiped out and feel really bad. Thanks for your interest Michael. I hope others get involved in these meetings and attend when ever possible.

--------------------

HONOR OUR VETERANS WITH BETTER CARE AND BENEFITS