VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Possible Malpractice?

Rate this topic

Can you just GO to the pain clinic - and tell them you NEED to be seen? Though they may say you need an appointment - I would think they may have to see you at some point - or someone might have to do something!

Free

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sir, your latest plan seems to be in line with what is required.

My only suggestions would be to keep in mind that you are dealing with the VA and:

-make your demands for the appointment in a civil manner - you do not want to be listed as a possible problem within the the VA health circles.

-If you are not successful and you have to implement plan number 2, my suggestion would be to inform the Pt Rep that your next steps are - the VAMC Director's office, the VAOIG and then if necessary congressional assistance in gaining the required appointmnet. Stay away from the malpractice threats. First I am not sure that what you are experiencing will raise to the level needed for a malpractice action and second, in any civil action you never expose to a possible defendant your intended actions - the element of surprise is always your number one goal. I feel that with a valid consult from your PCM you will get relief at the Pt Rep level.

Just remember, no matter how pissed you are remain extermely firm but civil. I know that it is hard for those of us with pain as I suffer from Dejerine-Roussy Syndrome due to a stroke, and trust me being civil is the farthest thing from my mind at anytime of the day!!!!

• HadIt.com Elder

Living, first assessment of your post I see you need help, like yesterday! Get that pain clinic appointment soonest.

Yes, livingrock, you need help and answers. I have an idea. Since you very well stated the medical care that you need on this post, can you cut,past and copy your concerns and needs into a letter? Then now, as you very humbly, sympathetically ask for help, thanking repeatedly everyone that will take a moment to listen to you. Now if that doesnt work, the letter will give you a means to communicate with the patient advocate by written form - stating what your needs are. Take it one step at a time, but don't cave in, start at the clinic, the patient advocate, then if needed, in emergency go then too - dont compromise your health get to the care you need.

Whatever you do, squeak, but my thoughts, dont squawk that m-practice word, sounds threatening. Of course that doesnt mean you can't write down a medics name and what they look like (red hair, short, tall or bald...). You can keep notes as you go, but the facts should be the things that count; like following a doctors or clincians orders or requests, prescriptions, pain clinic triage and emergencies. Personalities aside, you are dependent on this care and need their help.

The pharmacy should be able to help you 'intervene' with the pain clinic if needed; they are supposedly the experts on providing correct dosages under doctors orders and understanding vital prescription reactions for the veteran they serve.

Again, I believe if after your pain clinic appointment, you can address the pharmacy, the pain clinic, your PCP and patient advocate, the chaplain (whoever else you think will listen) in a letter requesting immediate assistance to prevent you from having interruption in your long standing prescription that could cause traumatic health issues if not tended to soonest.

jmho, trying to help,

Cg'up2009!

• HadIt.com Elder

I agree with your plan of action, and I completely agree with Clown Man's advice. FWIW, each VAMC is different. My pain management clinic wasn't much help. My primary care is in complete control of my pain meds, and he prescribes as he sees fit. I think it may be time for you to step up to methadone or morphine to help with the pain and relieve the withdrawals, but I'm no doc.

• HadIt.com Elder

Well, I guess I'm gonna be the "contrarian" here this morning.

I feel that I have been listened to by the Patient Advocate and helped more by them than by anyone in the VAMC here in Dallas.

I do feel that you need to GO to them, don't call, don't mail, GO to them and explain that you are at the "end of your rope", that you have exhausted all normal means of communication with the PCP and the other docs and that you need help and "Where would you like for me to sit and wait while you help me get this straightened out...........?"

Do NOT threaten mal-practice. Do NOT threaten to escalate your problem any further than you have. Play on their basic human instinct to help someone that is in pain. Give them the opportunity to help you. "I need help, I'm in pain and I don't know what to do and I'm gonna give you, as my advocate, the opportunity to help me."

Honey works a whole lot better than vinegar.

By all means contact the Patient Advocate- some are not too good but many are GREAT.

A local vet here had a problem that he asked me to resolve-

he gets so angry when things happen at the local VA that he becomes too belligerent and they wont listen to him-

He gave the PT advocate permission to talk to me and she got the problem resolved in a few hours.

I dont see any basis for negligence charges here-

the VA -from what I can tell- did not cause you any additional disability due to negligence----yet

one trick I used to use-if the VA gave me some crap about my husband-I would rattle off a local phone number to them and then search for change in my purse-or look for my cell phone-

when they asked what that phone number was for,

I told them it was my congressman's office in Bath NY and I was either going to the VA lobby to use the pay phone or find my cell to call him-

That often brings some action-

but try the PT advocate first.