VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd Treatment

Rate this topic

Here we go again. The Dayton VAMC wants me to attend the 7-week in-patient MST PTSD program at the Tampa VAMC. 7 weeks in Tampa?? LMFAO. I keep telling them I'm a single parent with a son still in school. I just can't (and won't) up and leave my school-age kid for 7 weeks.

So guess what....the VA sees this as unwillingness on my part.

I've been on the Dayton VA for years and years and years to get a day program. But no. It seems to be this 7-week in-patient program or bust.

It's obvious these lengthy in-patient programs were designed for men. No offense guys...but it's easier for you to pick up and take off because if you still have minor children at home, and you are married, there is someone there to take care of them. The VA still isn't "women-friendly" and especially "single-parent women-friendly"!!

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here we go again. The Dayton VAMC wants me to attend the 7-week in-patient MST PTSD program at the Tampa VAMC. 7 weeks in Tampa?? LMFAO. I keep telling them I'm a single parent with a son still in school. I just can't (and won't) up and leave my school-age kid for 7 weeks.

So guess what....the VA sees this as unwillingness on my part.

I've been on the Dayton VA for years and years and years to get a day program. But no. It seems to be this 7-week in-patient program or bust.

It's obvious these lengthy in-patient programs were designed for men. No offense guys...but it's easier for you to pick up and take off because if you still have minor children at home, and you are married, there is someone there to take care of them. The VA still isn't "women-friendly" and especially "single-parent women-friendly"!!

Purple,

Tell them you will attend in the summer, take a nice long vacation with your son. Make sure they put you up close to the VA, I know they use the motel a couple of blocks away and Bush Gardens and Aventure Island are close also.

Is it an IN Patient or an Out Patient Program. I don't know of an In Patient at the Tampa VA but there is one at the St Pete Facility (bay pines) I have heard from others it's good but intense.

Ruby

Purple,

See if there is a Psychotherapist in your area. If so request treatment through fee basis. The one I see has groups tailored to MST women. I agree with you that a program that is tailored for male veterans is not one size fits all. The inpatient unit here is co-ed. A train wreck waiting to happen.

Ruby-

My son is 17 and plays HS baseball all spring and summer. That won't work...plus he wouldn't dream of leaving his g/f for 7 weeks!! And I'm not going to miss his baseball seasons!!

But thanks for the idea!

Sharon-

I've asked about fee-based care and was told "no"......twice. I don't trust the current therapist I have now. I had told her I might consider doing CPT therapy with her but after more consideration, I'm going to tell her no, that I just can't do it. She's proven too many times that she doesn't know what she's doing.

• HadIt.com Elder

7 weeks of in-patient care at the VA for anything is too long. If you have seen the Tampa VAMC you would not want to be in that place for 7 weeks or even in the neighborhood (high crime). They had an in-patient pain clinic at Tampa VA and I said NO! I was in-patient there before and it was awful. They took me off my meds and I went into withdrawal.

That's terrible!

I know though....7 weeks of in-patient care? I keep asking them why can't they turn this program into a day program? A few hours a day for several weeks or so. They tell me that won't work, yet their alternative to the 7-week program is a 12-week, 1-hr per week regular therapy program. Huh??? How much sense does that make?

And when I ask them that, I get a very, very, long pause.

They tried to get me to go to the 7-week program in Cincinnati (closer to home, but still....7 weeks) and I told them no. I've been to the facility where they have that program and it's not all women like they "advertise". There are more male pts there than women. Yet they tout the program as a "Women's MST PTSD Program" in a "woman-friendly" environment.