VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd Claim

Rate this question

Petty Officer W

Question

I just recently put a claim in for PTSD, my VA rep told me I would probably here from them in a month, and I have not so I called him today and he said oh give them another couple of weeks,

I have not been able to submit my paperwork I have proving my PTSD or been ask to see a Dr. yet to be evaluated. I have been being seen for close to 10 years at the VA hospital near here for depression, anxiety and panics and doctors at the VA have put in the reports that they felt I had PTSD in fact they were the ones that brought it to my attention, now I feel after all these years

that I should submit a claim. Is it normal to sit around and wait a month before they ask you for your paper work and to see a doctor, can someone tell me the proper steps I should take with

all of this?

• Answers 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

Petty Officer W,

You posted,

"Sorry I had to start over again, I have a stack of papers a foot high I am going to be submitting with my claim, maybe this is a waste of time,

Only submit evidence that is directly material to your claim for PTSD/Mental Health.

Although they are supposed to consider everything they simply will not read 100 pages

of stuff.

I dont know all I know is I am not the same person I was before I left here to go in the service and I want my life back and for some reason it just doesnt seem to be happening, I do have documents supporting how bad I have had panic attacks for the last 10 years

Exactly what has a psychiatrist, psychologist or social worker put in writing regarding

your PTSD/Mental Health Diagnosis and in their opinion the cause (nexux) of this Diagnosis,and how this effects your daily life.

By how it effects your daily life does not mean sending all of your treatment or therapy progress notes. Sending MORE can be detrimental to a claim.

It's sending pertinent medical evidence that counts.

Example -

Date XX/XX/XXXX

Doctors Name credentials and Location Dr. XXXX - Psychiatrist - XXX Tampa, Fl.

Doctor states -

This patient has PTSD/ MDD / Panic Attacks

I have reviewed SMR's dated XX/XX/XXXX

It is my medical opinion the veteran's PTSD/MDD/Panic Attacks are at least as likely

as not the direct result of XXXXX shown in SMR's or Personel File dated XX/XX/XXXX.

And then list your treatment and how the condition effects your daily life or renders you unemployable - followed with Medical Rationale.

since I have back home, I am also a widow of a Chief Petty Officer and the mother of his two children I raised by my self because he died when he was 36 years old, my son has been diagnosed with PTSD as well due to the trauma of his fathers death. I met my husband while I was in ther service. Maybe they will not approve my PTSD I am going to submit my paper work. I am currently in treatment. I have all the notes from the treatment I am currently seeing a person who said I had PTSD and she gave me a GAF score of somewhere around 40. I did hear from them today and it only took 8 weeks it was just a letter telling me they wanted all my paperwork."

What has a doctor stated your nexus to your mental health condition is ?

carlie

The paper work I am submitting are from doctors and doctors notes relating to my condition, the condition has been going on for years and I have nver put a claim in for it, I have been out of the military for a while, the paper work that I do have is like emergency room visits where doctors have stated I have come in with panic attacks. Other paper work is Doctors notes from PSY Doctors I have seen at the VA hospital, all are pertinent to my situation. Do you see any reason I should cut this paper work down or should I submit it all it all pertains to the treatment and diagnoses I have had to PTSD and how long I have had it.

Petty Officer W,

You posted,

"Sorry I had to start over again, I have a stack of papers a foot high I am going to be submitting with my claim, maybe this is a waste of time,

Only submit evidence that is directly material to your claim for PTSD/Mental Health.

Although they are supposed to consider everything they simply will not read 100 pages

of stuff.

I dont know all I know is I am not the same person I was before I left here to go in the service and I want my life back and for some reason it just doesnt seem to be happening, I do have documents supporting how bad I have had panic attacks for the last 10 years

Exactly what has a psychiatrist, psychologist or social worker put in writing regarding

your PTSD/Mental Health Diagnosis and in their opinion the cause (nexux) of this Diagnosis,and how this effects your daily life.

By how it effects your daily life does not mean sending all of your treatment or therapy progress notes. Sending MORE can be detrimental to a claim.

Example -

Date XX/XX/XXXX

Doctor states -

It is my medical opinion the veteran's PTSD/MDD/Panic Attacks are at least as likely

as not the direct result of XXXXX shown in SMR's or Personel File dated XX/XX/XXXX.

And then list your treatment and how the condition effects your daily life or renders you unemployable - followed with Medical Rationale.

since I have back home, I am also a widow of a Chief Petty Officer and the mother of his two children I raised by my self because he died when he was 36 years old, my son has been diagnosed with PTSD as well due to the trauma of his fathers death. I met my husband while I was in ther service. Maybe they will not approve my PTSD I am going to submit my paper work. I am currently in treatment. I have all the notes from the treatment I am currently seeing a person who said I had PTSD and she gave me a GAF score of somewhere around 40. I did hear from them today and it only took 8 weeks it was just a letter telling me they wanted all my paperwork."

carlie

Honestly I am new here and was looking or a response on the board to my question and did not see one for a long time so i thought that I submitted it wrong and I resubmitted it again, no I wasnt looking for different response just trying get used to to the boards, I dont expect it to be an automatic win........ your right, and hey maybe this is all a waste of my time. I am still raising children of a war vet that is now deceased, this man dedicated 16 years of active duty to this country and his kids got nothing!!!

I'm just curious...is there a reason you started a new thread with the same questions as the other thread you started? Were you hoping for a different response? Either way...it is not going to be an automatic win...no matter who suggested you file a claim.

Carlie,

I met my husband when I was in the service patroling on Pearl Harbor piers in Hawaii, between my husband and I we put in 23 years of active duty, when I was living in miliary housing he started busting out all the windows with his fist and put a gun to my head when I was pregnant and threatened me with knifes choked me I do not know how many times, I also was sexually assaulted when living in coed barracks shen stationed in Hawaii, this is what the doctor thinks created my PTSD, I was in the military when I met him.

Petty Officer W

Petty Officer W,

You posted,

of stuff.

Example -

Date XX/XX/XXXX

Doctor states -

carlie

Petty Officer W,

Thanks for the response but these questions still need to be answered inorder to try and help you with your claims.

Exactly what has a psychiatrist, psychologist or social worker put in writing regarding your PTSD/Mental Health Diagnosis and in their opinion the cause (nexux) of this Diagnosis,and how this effects your daily life.

Example -

Date XX/XX/XXXX

Doctor states -

Did you request SC for PTSD due to Military Sexual Trauma (MST) ?

Have you ever received a Rating Decision on PTSD or any Mental Health Condition ?

Also - Do the kids at least get Social Security since their father died ?

There has been several things written in my record at the VA hospital PTSD from witnessing my husband suicide is what the doctor put in the notes, the second set of notes written by a social worker was PTSD from sexual trauma and my husband suicide and being physically abused as well. The social worker that did that last notes gave me a GAF score for 45 I believe. The social worker wrote a big write up in the notes how strongly she feels I have PTSD because of all of all of the above. I am currently contacted some of my late husbands friends who witnessed some of his actions while we were living in military housing the incident where my husband broke out windows in the house with his fist to the point where I had to call the military police to come get him he was so out of control, I was in the military at the time, he was under th influence of alcohol and was mad because I would not give him his keys and let him drive drunk, his friends are going to send more letters and I will be submitting them with my claim. My son now is considered disabled mentally as well and will he will be turning 18 soon, I feel he has PTSD, my sons money will stop soon, he still lives with me and is very dependent on me to the point that if I dont fix him something to eat and tell him to sit down and eat he will not eat now remember I was physically abused and threatened with a gun while I was pregnant with this child. There has been not rating in the notes just Gaf scores, I have not submitting my paperwork and been in front of a doctor for the C exam or whatever they call it but if i do go for the exam the doctor that diagnosed me with PTSd is the one that does them around here at the Va hospital, oh yes before I forget I also have notes to submitt my a psy doctor that was counseling both of us after he had put a gun to my head when I was pregnant it also states in the notes that he threatened me with knifes and it states domestic violence severe.

Petty Officer W,

Thanks for the response but these questions still need to be answered inorder to try and help you with your claims.

Exactly what has a psychiatrist, psychologist or social worker put in writing regarding your PTSD/Mental Health Diagnosis and in their opinion the cause (nexux) of this Diagnosis,and how this effects your daily life.

Example -

Date XX/XX/XXXX

Doctor states -

Yes the social worker in the notes did state this

Did you request SC for PTSD due to Military Sexual Trauma (MST) ?

I just told my service rep that I had suffered from sexual trauma as well

but my claim just said PTSD

Have you ever received a Rating Decision on PTSD or any Mental Health Condition ?

I have just received a Gaf score of 45 but no rating yet have not had the exam with the person making the decision of the rating

Also - Do the kids at least get Social Security since their father died ?

Yes but my sons will end soon, he is still dependent on me and mentally disabled he was only 4 when his father commited suicide.