VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd Claim

Rate this question

Petty Officer W

Question

I just recently put a claim in for PTSD, my VA rep told me I would probably here from them in a month, and I have not so I called him today and he said oh give them another couple of weeks,

I have not been able to submit my paperwork I have proving my PTSD or been ask to see a Dr. yet to be evaluated. I have been being seen for close to 10 years at the VA hospital near here for depression, anxiety and panics and doctors at the VA have put in the reports that they felt I had PTSD in fact they were the ones that brought it to my attention, now I feel after all these years

that I should submit a claim. Is it normal to sit around and wait a month before they ask you for your paper work and to see a doctor, can someone tell me the proper steps I should take with

all of this?

• Answers 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

I just recently put a claim in for PTSD, my VA rep told me I would probably here from them in a month, and I have not so I called him today and he said oh give them another couple of weeks,

I have not been able to submit my paperwork I have proving my PTSD or been ask to see a Dr. yet to be evaluated. I have been being seen for close to 10 years at the VA hospital near here for depression, anxiety and panics and doctors at the VA have put in the reports that they felt I had PTSD in fact they were the ones that brought it to my attention, now I feel after all these years

that I should submit a claim. Is it normal to sit around and wait a month before they ask you for your paper work and to see a doctor, can someone tell me the proper steps I should take with

all of this?

I have been out of the military since 1988, someone told me that they dont think I will win a claim putting it in after being out all these years. I am putting in the claim now because my social security survivors benefits stopped and I am still raising children of a deceased veteran who served 16 years active duty mostly on ships and some in war zones. I met him while I was in the service, and his traumatic death traumatized me really bad to the point where i have to constant take meds or I will have constant panic attacks. I was told years ago that if I was collect social security I could not put in for military disability (someone told me wrong), I put in my claim over 1 months ago and I have not heard anything and they have not even asked me for my paperwork..... on my proof ...any advice

I moved this over so that the thread is not so confusing.

Was your husband still on active duty? Do you recieve DIC or pension? Is your entire family receiving counseling. Were you a dependent when the incidents happen where the police were called out?

In order for you to get an approval for PTSD you have to show that incidents happened while you were still in the military. This will include information in your SMRs, police reports, and lay statement. Make sure your organize your evidence.

Petty Officer W,

I'm sorry to hear all the things you experienced. Please do not get upset at any of us, as we are just trying to steer yo in the right direction. The only way you can "claim" PTSD would to be service connected while you were in the military. The fact your husband stayed in and you got out won't help your cause. I feel for you ma'am. Most of the people want you to get help as well as the ret of the family. I/we aren't saying you don't have ptsd at all. We are just saying it looks like you have PTSD that will not be service connected, unless you can connect the dots on the sexual trauma, while you were in. You need to have evidence when you were still in, in your medical record from that time period. You can bring in all your current VA paperwork for mental helath only. Organize the diagnoses. Without a formal diagnoses and them stating that it is more or at least likely it happened in the military then you will get denied. It appears your case is going to be much harder to prove. I wish you the best of luck in any/all endeavors.

Semper Fidelis

My husband was still on active duty when the incidents happend yes, and I was still on active duty when incidents happened yes, we were living in military housing and the shore patrol was called out but would this incident still be on record in Pearl Harbor, some of the incidents happend when I was a dependent as well I did not become a dependent till after I was out of the military, I realize I have to prove this happened while I was in the military for the time frame, I have people that witnessed the situation submitting letters but would they keep records of incidents that happend that long ago..

Yes my children are in counseling have been for years my daughter has to take antidepressents. Do I receive DIC pension no I do not. My husband commited suicide a little less then two years after he got out of the military. What is a lay statement? A statement from people who witnessed the incidents.

This was a man who served during time of war and performed as a 4.0 sailor was voted Sailor of the year and made Chief Petty Officer in 9 years of service when he was 27 years old, my daughter and I pinned his anchors on at the ceremony, he was a great asset to the military and his country but had issues with depression and alcohol.

I have been out of the military since 1988, someone told me that they dont think I will win a claim putting it in after being out all these years. I am putting in the claim now because my social security survivors benefits stopped and I am still raising children of a deceased veteran who served 16 years active duty mostly on ships and some in war zones. I met him while I was in the service, and his traumatic death traumatized me really bad to the point where i have to constant take meds or I will have constant panic attacks. I was told years ago that if I was collect social security I could not put in for military disability (someone told me wrong), I put in my claim over 1 months ago and I have not heard anything and they have not even asked me for my paperwork..... on my proof ...any advice

I moved this over so that the thread is not so confusing.

Was your husband still on active duty? Do you recieve DIC or pension? Is your entire family receiving counseling. Were you a dependent when the incidents happen where the police were called out?

In order for you to get an approval for PTSD you have to show that incidents happened while you were still in the military. This will include information in your SMRs, police reports, and lay statement. Make sure your organize your evidence.

I was in the military when the abuse started, we were stationed together in Pearl Harbor and I have proof of that, we were married in 1987 and I got out of the service in 1988, but maybe you right this might be a waste of time, but what about the sexual trauma how do I prove that?

Petty Officer W,

I'm sorry to hear all the things you experienced. Please do not get upset at any of us, as we are just trying to steer yo in the right direction. The only way you can "claim" PTSD would to be service connected while you were in the military. The fact your husband stayed in and you got out won't help your cause. I feel for you ma'am. Most of the people want you to get help as well as the ret of the family. I/we aren't saying you don't have ptsd at all. We are just saying it looks like you have PTSD that will not be service connected, unless you can connect the dots on the sexual trauma, while you were in. You need to have evidence when you were still in, in your medical record from that time period. You can bring in all your current VA paperwork for mental helath only. Organize the diagnoses. Without a formal diagnoses and them stating that it is more or at least likely it happened in the military then you will get denied. It appears your case is going to be much harder to prove. I wish you the best of luck in any/all endeavors.

Semper Fidelis

For sexual trauma...did you seek treatment (therapy) for this while you were active duty? If so, this is what you need to get copies of from your SMRs. Also, you need copies of all treatment you have received between your release from active duty and now related to sexual trauma.

If you've been in constant treatment...it will be easier. If you haven't been in treatment, I wont' lie, it will be very difficult.

http://veterans.house.gov/hearings/hearing.aspx?NewsID=356

Below is one of many witnesses appearing before House Committee on Mar 23rd.

Go to web site above to read other testimony

Statement of Bradley G. Mayes

Director, Compensation and Pension Service

Veterans Benefits Administration, U.S. Department of Veterans

The evolving PTSD claims process and the application of 38 U.S.C. § 1154

Mr. Chairman and members of the Committee:

I would like to thank the Chairman for this opportunity to testify on the important topic of post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). Mr. Richard Hipolit of the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) Office of General Counsel accompanies me today. The number of veterans receiving service-connected compensation for PTSD from VA has grown dramatically. From fiscal year 1999 through fiscal year 2008, the number increased from 120,000 to 345,520. We all share the goals of preventing this disability, minimizing its impact on our veterans, and providing those who suffer from it with just compensation for their service to our country. Consequently, VA has expanded its efforts to assist veterans with the claims process and keep pace with the increased number of claims. Today I will describe the PTSD claims process and explain how VA applies the statutory requirements of 38 U.S.C. §1154 to the processing of these claims. I will also describe the challenges met by VA through the years as PTSD claims and warfare tactics have evolved.

38 U.S.C. §1154

Section 1154, which was enacted by Congress in 1941, requires that VA consider the time, place, and circumstances of a veteran’s service in deciding a claim for service connection. Section 1154(;) provides for a reliance on certain evidence as a basis for service connection of disabilities that result from a veteran’s engagement in combat with the enemy. As a result, veterans who “engaged in combat with the enemy” and file claims for service-connected disability related to that combat are not subject to the same evidentiary requirements as non-combat veterans. Their lay statements alone may provide the basis for service connecting a disability, without additional factual or credible supporting evidence. In PTSD claims, a combat veteran’s personal stressor statement can serve to establish the occurrence of the stressor.

The PTSD Claims Process

The processing of PTSD claims is governed by 38 C.F.R. § 3.304(f). This regulation states that, in order for service connection for PTSD to be granted, there must be: (a) medical evidence diagnosing the condition, (:) medical evidence establishing a link between current symptoms and an in-service stressor, and © credible supporting evidence that the claimed in-service stressor occurred. The first two requirements involve medical assessments, while the third requirement may be satisfied by non-medical evidence. PTSD is defined as a mental disorder that results from a stressor. The third requirement of the regulation emphasizes the importance of the stressor and the obligation of the Veterans Benefits Administration (VBA) to seek credible evidence supporting the occurrence of that stressor.

In PTSD claims where the stressor is not combat-related, VBA personnel will conduct research and develop credible evidence to support the claimed stressor. However, the statutory directives of § 1154(:P have been incorporated into PTSD regulations at § 3.304(f)(2), so that when there is evidence of combat participation, and the stressor is related to that combat, no stressor corroboration is required. The veteran’s lay statement alone is sufficient to establish the occurrence of the stressor. In Moran v. Peake, 525 F.3d 1157, 1159 (Fed. Cir. 2008), the United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit held "the term 'engaged in combat with the enemy' in § 1154(:( requires that the veteran have personally participated in events constituting an actual fight or encounter with a military foe or hostile unit or instrumentality, as determined on a case-by-case basis." The Court said that "[a] showing of no more than service in a general “combat area” or “combat zone” is not sufficient to trigger the evidentiary benefit of § 1154(:)." When no combat award has been received, VBA relies on the circumstances of the individual case, as determined from the veteran's service records and other sources, to evaluate whether the veteran engaged in combat.

VBA responses to the changing circumstances of PTSD and warfare tactics

Through the years VA has made changes to § 3.304(f) based on the §1154 mandate to consider the time, place, and circumstances of a veteran’s service.

The definition and diagnostic criteria for PTSD evolved to a great extent from the psychiatric community’s attempt during the 1970's to explain the psychological problems of some Vietnam War Veterans. Once the medical community recognized this mental disorder, VA added it as a disability to the VA rating schedule. VA then moved to incorporate PTSD diagnostic criteria from the American Psychiatric Association’s Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM) into the PTSD claims evaluation process. According to DSM-IV, the symptoms of PTSD “usually begin within the first 3 months after the trauma, although there may be a delay of months, or even years, before symptoms appear." Given the delay that may occur between the occurrence of a stressor and the onset of PTSD and the subjective nature of a person’s response to an event, VA concluded, when it first promulgated § 3.304(f) in 1993, that it is reasonable to require corroboration of the in-service stressor, a conclusion with which the Federal Circuit agreed in Nat’l Org. of Veterans' Advocates, Inc. v. Sec’y of Veterans Affairs, 330 F.3d 1345, 1351-52 (Fed. Cir. 2003). Work is currently underway to update the disability rating schedule to compensate more effectively for disability due to PTSD.

As the military incorporated more female members into its ranks, VBA recognized that PTSD could result from personal assault and sexual trauma. These types of claims were increasing in numbers and are difficult to document. To meet this evolving situation, VA added §3.304(f)(4), which provides for acceptance of evidence for stressor corroboration in such cases from multiple sources other than the veteran’s service records. This evidence may include local law enforcement records, hospital or rape crisis center records, or testimony from family, friends, or clergy members. In addition, this evidence may be submitted to an appropriate medical or mental health professional for an opinion regarding the occurrence of the stressor. This expanded concept of potential evidence to corroborate the stressor in personal assault PTSD claims shows a positive and sensitive responsiveness on the part of VA to the changing demographics of the veteran population.

For the evaluation of PTSD claims where the stressor is not combat-related or the claimed stressor is related to combat but there is no initial evidence of combat participation, VBA has provided claims processing personnel with special tools to research veterans’ stressor statements. A website was developed that contains a database of thousands of declassified military unit histories and combat action reports from all periods of military conflict. In many cases, evidence is found in these documents to support the veteran’s stressor statement or confirm combat participation. Nationwide training was conducted to explain the use of this database and other official websites that can aid with stressor corroboration. This initiative illustrates the VBA commitment to assisting veterans with PTSD claims.

Although the combat participation provisions of §1154 have been in effect for many years, VA has recently provided a PTSD regulatory change that further carries out the intent of that statute and recognizes the changing conditions of modern warfare. Section 3.304(f)(1) now provides for service connection of PTSD when there is an in-service diagnosis of the disability. In such cases, the veteran's lay stressor statement and the medical examiner's association of PTSD with that stressor is sufficient to establish service connection when PTSD is diagnosed. This liberalization of regulatory requirements is due to the recognition by VA of the heightened awareness of PTSD among military medical personnel, resulting in increasing numbers and reliability of PTSD diagnoses for personnel still on active duty. This regulation also facilitates the timely resolution of PTSD claims and provides expedited payment of needed benefits to veterans.

These descriptions of PTSD-related initiatives make it clear that VA is committed to following the mandate of § 1154 and adjusting the PTSD claims process as necessary to better serve veterans. This concludes my testimony and I would be happy to answer any questions the committee members may have.