VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Tdiu Or What?

Rate this question

racemech

Question

Just want to get some opinions here. I just had SC surgery at VAMC Asheville in January. This past Friday, coincidentally the 13th, I had my final follow up with the surgeon. He just now tells me that as a result of the surgery, I will be on a 5lbs lifting restriction for the rest of my life. My surgery was to "repair" an abdominal hernia caused by a right nephrectomy that I had while in service. Now the doctor tells me that the "repair" is holding, he does not know for how long, and if it fails, it will not be repaired again. Hence, the 5lbs restriction. At this time, he will not put all of this in writing. Don't know why, but I'm working on it. My employer states that if I cannot return to my original position of Forklift Technician, then there is nothing else for me.

Still waiting on 100% Temp, can't get unemployment...yet. Still on short-term disability with my employer, but expiring soon. Should I apply for TDIU with the above mentioned, or should I go another route?

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Send an iris to the VAMC in the form as an compliant into this issue with your doctor. Then review all the documents that you signed before the surgery. Third- Get a copy of all the records connected to this surgery via release of info at the VAMC. Somewhere, in all that you should get a record of what the doctor described to you. Then ask your employer to write you a statement relaying what they told you about your job being affected by the new restriction. Send these into the R/O and ask for-

1. A temporary 100% rating starting at the time of the surgery. (your awaiting this, but remind them)

2. New rating for painful scar, secondary to S/C condition.

3. IU with consideration of a permanite restriction giving plausablity for TD. (TDIU)

• HadIt.com Elder

Sorry to hear of your dilema and am glad poolguy presents clear steps to follow. I hope you consider SSDI while doing this current paperwork, remember effective dates begin when you apply. I applied after my comp exam and VA rating increase with VA medical reports and decisions to support my SSDI application.

Best to ya and protect yourself while healing,

Cowgirl'up2009!

Just want to get some opinions here. I just had SC surgery at VAMC Asheville in January. This past Friday, coincidentally the 13th, I had my final follow up with the surgeon. He just now tells me that as a result of the surgery, I will be on a 5lbs lifting restriction for the rest of my life. My surgery was to "repair" an abdominal hernia caused by a right nephrectomy that I had while in service. Now the doctor tells me that the "repair" is holding, he does not know for how long, and if it fails, it will not be repaired again. Hence, the 5lbs restriction. At this time, he will not put all of this in writing. Don't know why, but I'm working on it. My employer states that if I cannot return to my original position of Forklift Technician, then there is nothing else for me.

Still waiting on 100% Temp, can't get unemployment...yet. Still on short-term disability with my employer, but expiring soon. Should I apply for TDIU with the above mentioned, or should I go another route?