VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Omeprazole

Rate this topic

Omeprazole makes me sick. I use Ranitidine. The Ranitidine works good.

The mucus in my lungs and coughing is cleared by guaifenesin (musinex).

If you go to the store, you can get Musinex DM (600 mg). Jerrel told me about this. I was almost dying from so much flim in my lungs. This Musinex DM cleared it up in a couple of days. I couldn't believe it. I have been calling him Dr. Jerrel ever since.

Musinex is Guaifenesin. The VA will give you Guaifenesin 600mg SA tabs. Tell your PCP that you heard it would clear up the flim in your lungs and help with the coughing. I would start with the Musinex DM from the store for a test first.

Walmart has Mucus Relief Guaifenesin 400mg for less than a third of the cost of Musinex DM. It works just as well. On a fixed income, watching my pennies.

Edited by sharon

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Omeprazole makes me sick. I use Ranitidine. The Ranitidine works good.

The mucus in my lungs and coughing is cleared by guaifenesin (musinex).

If you go to the store, you can get Musinex DM (600 mg). Jerrel told me about this. I was almost dying from so much flim in my lungs. This Musinex DM cleared it up in a couple of days. I couldn't believe it. I have been calling him Dr. Jerrel ever since.

Musinex is Guaifenesin. The VA will give you Guaifenesin 600mg SA tabs. Tell your PCP that you heard it would clear up the flim in your lungs and help with the coughing. I would start with the Musinex DM from the store for a test first.

Pete,

I don't take Lisnopril but several other drugs. I will check for other drug reactions.

Thanks

Pete,

I don't take Lisnopril but several other drugs. I will check for other drug reactions.

Thanks

Stretch, Sharon,

I will try your suggestions. I watch my pennies as well,

Thanks

• In Memoriam

My opinion is that Musinex DM works for initial therapeutic treatment and that guaifenesin (600 mg) works for maintenance. Pennies are up to the VA to count. The horrible feeling of my lungs caving in, is not worth a few pennies. VA handles the guaifenesin 600mg, but it will not give Musinex DM. DM cost about 11.00 for 30 tablets (?). I was coughing so bad that I had pain in my shoulder blades and lower ribs.

I just read this and wanted to pass it along.

Musinex DM - Improper use of this medication (abuse) may result in serious harm (e.g., brain damage, seizure, death). Do not increase your dose, take it more frequently, or use it for a longer time than directed.

I'm also concerned about long term use of Guaifenesin. As I stated in an earlier post Omeprazole works well for heartburn. Which is worst coughing or heartburn?

I also take Gabapentin for pain. I have gained 30 lbs; yet if I stop taking it I'm in a lot of pain. Yet I am supposed to exercise. I still have some pain and more weight therefore sometimes it is difficult to exercise. I feel like a cat chasing it's tail.

• 1 month later...
I have been on Omeprazole for a long time. I have had a dry cough for about 18 months. Chest films are clear and Ear, Nose & Throat Doctor states no problems.

Has anyone else had this problem with this drug?

It works really well for my heartburn and I wouldn't know what kind of drug to request to replace it?

I am just now reading this post maybe too old but I hope you read this. Like you I was on Omeprazole (prilosec) for years and developed a cough. First does the cough start after meals/eating? If it does than it is not related to the medication what it is is worsening reflux (GERD). For me I ended up having a surgical procedure called Nissen Fundoplication which is a procedure that completely aleviated the cough and reflux (GERD) and need for medications. Hope you see this and it helps. The surgery was a very good decision for me in my opinion.

Bergie