VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Questions About My Iu Claim?

Rate this question

bogus311

Question

Ok, this is my first post. I have a few over-all questions for the members about my claim. First off I am a pretty recently discharged vet about 1.5 yrs out. I served in the Army Infantry for 8 yrs. I have 3 deployments under my belt 2x Iraq, and 1x Afghan. I am 80% disabled 70% ptsd, 10% back, 10% tbi. I have to say that my experience with the VA has been outstanding out here in California. They have helped my wife and I out tremendously, before I started receiving compensation, the social workers broke there backs getting my wife and I financial support from places like UNVET and the VFW. I know you don't hear to many good things about the VA. You really seem to hear only the negative. But my experience has been a very positive one.

Well anyways my questions have to do with my IU claim. The VA automatically deferred my IU claim in my original rating decision. I have not worked since my discharge from the Army, I have very severe PTSD. I am also 100% disabled as far as SS is concerned. To be honest I am happy with the amount of compensation I am receiving, I didn't think in a million Yrs I would receive SS and be 80% from the VA. But I sure wouldn't mind an extra $1300. from the VA either. So basically my question is

" what are my odds of receiving a 100% IU rating?" and if I do receive a 100% rating would I be able to go to school to finish my degree? It would have to be an on line thing. Cuz I don't do very good around people Obviously.My service organization guy at the Military Order of the Purple Heart said it would affect it. But to be honest I don't put much faith in what they say Because everything they have told me turned out to be wrong.

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• Founder

iu is for unemployability, if you are unemployable due to your service connected conditions, which means you can't hold a job, then it would seem that you can't go to school, though you say you want to take online classes, so you may qualify for voc rehab, but it's iffy, if you are unemployable they aren't likely to pay for schooling that you won't be able to use. i'm not trying to burst you bubble, i'm just giving you my opinion. though get ssd should help your claim for 100%.

Ok, this is my first post. I have a few over-all questions for the members about my claim. First off I am a pretty recently discharged vet about 1.5 yrs out. I served in the Army Infantry for 8 yrs. I have 3 deployments under my belt 2x Iraq, and 1x Afghan. I am 80% disabled 70% ptsd, 10% back, 10% tbi. I have to say that my experience with the VA has been outstanding out here in California. They have helped my wife and I out tremendously, before I started receiving compensation, the social workers broke there backs getting my wife and I financial support from places like UNVET and the VFW. I know you don't hear to many good things about the VA. You really seem to hear only the negative. But my experience has been a very positive one.

Well anyways my questions have to do with my IU claim. The VA automatically deferred my IU claim in my original rating decision. I have not worked since my discharge from the Army, I have very severe PTSD. I am also 100% disabled as far as SS is concerned. To be honest I am happy with the amount of compensation I am receiving, I didn't think in a million Yrs I would receive SS and be 80% from the VA. But I sure wouldn't mind an extra $1300. from the VA either. So basically my question is

" what are my odds of receiving a 100% IU rating?" and if I do receive a 100% rating would I be able to go to school to finish my degree? It would have to be an on line thing. Cuz I don't do very good around people Obviously.My service organization guy at the Military Order of the Purple Heart said it would affect it. But to be honest I don't put much faith in what they say Because everything they have told me turned out to be wrong.

First, thanks for your service. Sounds like you have been through a lot in those 8 years. I have heard of many vets who are 100% IU going to school through Voc rehab. I think a lot depends on what your major would be. It should be something that would better yourself as a person and not for employment purposes. Kind of a therapy program for you. In your request explain how you don't want to just waste your life away sitting around the house with nothing to do but watch TV. I think your wife could go to school on the VA if you get 100% IU if she wants to. Also the state of CA has some great programs for disabled vets that you may want to check in to. How about your GI bill? I would think you could use that if VocRehab doesn't come through.

It's good to hear the VA is treating some of the vets with the respect they deserve. Sounds like you are working with a good region. Hopefully, they will get you what you have earned.

Good luck with everything!

Thanks for the repy guys! I wasn't thinking about going the voc rehab route, I was leaning towards the G.I> bill. and you are absolutely right when you say I feel like I'm wasting away my life. I am just so concerned about this VA compensation falling through for whatever reason, and me not having anything to fall back on.

• HadIt.com Elder

If you get rated TDIU P&T then I don't think the VA is going to want to send you to school or anything else. However, if you are not P&T then I think the VA would have every reason to try to get you rehabilitated, so they can reduce that TDIU rating. If you could become rehabilitated by school or training and make a decent living then both you and the VA would benefit. It also depends on your age. If you are 60 years old and rated TDIU the idea of being rehabilitated does not make much sense. If you are 30 years old it makes a lot of sense. You should have a good idea about your future ability to work given training or school. If you have some really debilitating illness or injury you probably don't want to bang your head against the wall with vocational rehabilitation if your chances of every being able to work are nil. There are those of us here who can never work again at any age, or given any training. There are some who might be able to work again given the right circumstances. Figure out which one you are.

• HadIt.com Elder

"They have helped my wife and I out tremendously, before I started receiving compensation, the social workers broke there backs getting my wife and I financial support from places like UNVET and the VFW."

I agree with you, the VA (employees) really do try.

BUT......if the VA ORGANIZATION was really trying, then you shouldn't HAVE to rely on "places like UNVET and the VFW", should you?

Or, am I mistaken in thinking that the VA is the organization that is SUPPOSED to take care of the veteran?

I dunno, I just am venting because I hate to see a vet like you having to go from place to place and from hand to mouth.

IT'S A CRYIN' SHAME!

Thank you very much for you sacrifice and your service, sir.