VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Disability Payments After Death

Rate this question

123trp

Question

• Answers 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

It is on pages 518,519, and 520 of the VBM 2008 Edition.

There are some earned income restrictions and there is a potential offset if the survivor is eligible for both REPS and SSA.

I sure need to check out SSA benefits myself- as they have changed over the years.

Halos my former rep never heard of REPS and some other dope service officer told me even with direct SC death award I was not eligible.

This shows how little is known about this program.

Many many years ago I knew from my church - a widow of US Navy vet whose son was about to turn 16 when the veteran suddenly died.

She herself was under 60 and therefore-no SSA survivor benefits for her or for the son as soon as he reached the 16th birthday.

The SSA used to continue as long as the child was in school including college.

This was so unfortunate and last I heard (I moved from the state she was in) she was trying to get DIC.

Talk about getting screwed- she had been a full time housewife with limited work skills.

He had certainly worked all his life and had years of Navy service and yet SSA could not provide for his family. (Reagan's idea to drop these benefits to widows, widowers and children-whether veterans or not)

• HadIt.com Elder

Red - here are the rates from the VA's website:

Basic Monthly Rate = $1154 (38 U.S.C. 1311(a)(1))

Additional Allowances:

a. Add $246 if at the time of the veteran's death, the veteran was in receipt of or entitled to receive compensation for a service-connected disability rated totally disabling (including a rating based on individual unemployability) for a continuous period of at least 8 years immediately preceding death AND the surviving spouse was married to the veteran for those same 8 years. (38 U.S.C. 1311(a)(2))

b. Add the following allowance for each dependent child under age 18: *

Effective 12/1/08 $286 per child (38 U.S.C. 1311(:lol:)

c. If the surviving spouse is entitled to A&A, add $286. (38 U.S.C. 1311©)

d. If the surviving spouse is entitled to Housebound, add $135 (38 U.S.C. 1311(d))

*DIC apportionment rates approved by the Under Secretary for Benefits under 38 CFR 3.461(:lol: will be the additional allowance received for each child.

Berta and Phillip,

You are speaking of a person who retired in the military, right? Please give me what a widow,of a person who dies, is 100% p&t disabled for 10 years, did not retire from the military, would receive at his death? Thanks for any info that will set me straight on this. I like until the end of June having 10years.

If the widow is eligible for a pension, she must disclose your assets. If she is applying for DIC, then no.

Another tough question. If you are 100% t&p at the time of your death, does the va check on your assets that you leave to your widow before they award the va benefits to your widow. These are difficult questions I know. If you leave her with large assets, will she still receive the check, and the champva benefits. If not, she would go thru the assets that were left in a big hurry. Thanks for any input that is given.