VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Early Postal Retirement?

Rate this question

nlualum82

Question

Here we go again! Some of you will remember my tales of woe from working at the post office.

Under the current economic conditions, they are discussing another early retirement offering.

Their usual qualifications are "at least 50 with at least 20 years on the job". I missed the last one by a few months, so I didn't even check up on it.

If they offer the same thing again, I'll be eligible. I am otherwise 5 years 2 months 1 week and 2 days from being able to retire on my 56th birthday - desirable whether feasible or not.

Because they deduct from your check by each early year, it has not been my best option.

One of my main questions is: Would I be eligible for any other additional income like TDIU?

I am rated at 90% currently, one of those for whom that last stretch to 100% looks as wide as the Grand Canyon.

70% PTSD

50% bilateral hearing loss

10% bilateral tinnitus

10% otitis

10% L knee injury

10% L knee degenerative osteoarthritis

That is 90% VA math. The only one likely to increase is my rating for hearing, and at 60 or 70% I believe I would still be 90%.

I have a son almost through his first year of college, and I am paying for it - got about a $200/mo. increase for that. Sure would be nice to get the $2500 or so a quarter tuition off my back.

Anyone know? I would really like to get away from the post office, but could not replace the income. I lack real qualifications for anything, and I can't imagine who would even want to hire me with my conditions.

I haven't pursued anything yet, probably because with my level of anxiety, I'd need to be absolutely sure of a positive outcome in a reasonable amount of time.

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder
I would really like to get away from the post office, but could not replace the income. I lack real qualifications for anything, and I can't imagine who would even want to hire me with my conditions.

So let me see if I understand your question right- you think that may be eligible for an early retirement from the post office and you would like to capitalize on that by maximizing your VA benefits for that you, while in retirement can make more money or at lease the same and now send your son to college via VBA benefits? Why the heck are you even discussing TDIU for? Do you really think that your 100% scheduler now? If the burden of working to so bad that you cannot work anymore than why continue working until early retirement or otherwise. I would submit to you that off the top of my head without knowing much about your claim, your 50% rating for hearing loss is really a high rating for such. File for the scheduler or TDIU you truly feel that you are entitled to such but all your claims could be reevaluated and the fact that you might me getting early retirement or that you need the finical help with putting your son through college does not qualify you for any more benefits than what you have currently.

• HadIt.com Elder

You can'[t get to the 100% unless you can't work. If you can't work than take a Medical Retirement that may get you there. It is only a few who can get 100% and still work. Hang in there working is still better than retirement if you are able.

I guess that you are very proud of your son.

• HadIt.com Elder

If you can work you will do better to collect the 90%. When it comes time that you cannot work anymore put in for disability retirement. It is easy to get and then put in for TDIU and SSDI at the same time. I was a postal worker who got disability retirement and then TDIU and SSDI. If I could have kept working I would have, but I am actually better off with the TDIU than I would have been with just the postal retirement. There are other federal employees who have actually worked the full thirty years and then gotten TDIU. What you need for TDIU is just proof that you can no longer work due to your SC disabilites.

• HadIt.com Elder

nlualum82,

You have been kicking this horse for sometime now.

As I have stated before, you are entitled to TDIU, and you have been since your increase.

The dollar difference in the new VERA and what you could receive from disability retirement from OPM is probably very minimal based on your years of service. I would suggest that you contact HR and compare the 2, but you must also keep in mind that under the DR OPM rules, your time spent under DR also increases your retirement amount at age 62 when it is recomputed, so you might not be doing yourself a favor with the new VERA.

DR from OPM is not that hard to do, and based on your VA disability's, and your relationship with the PO it should flow pretty smooth, and it would give you better grounds for VA TDIU.

OPM is somewhat backlogged right now so be prepared to wait about 4-6 months....so you can continue to work now while waiting for your application to be approved.

Either way you go, now is the time, as the PO is a sinking ship unless things are turned around ASAP.