VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Computing % With Bilateral Factor

Rate this question

rogersdw

Question

I currently have the following:

Intervertebra disk disease with degeneration - 30%

Cervical spine degenerative joint disease - 30%

Degenerative joint disease, right knee - 30% (bilateral right lower)

Degenerative joint disease, left knee - 30% (bilateral left lower)

left shoulder injury - 10% (bilateral left upper)

left elbow condition - 10% (bilateral left upper)

right elbow condition - 10% (bilateral right upper)

thoracic outlet syndrome left upper extremity - 10% (bilateral left upper)

thoracic outlet syndrome right upper extremity - 10% major (bilateral right upper)

radiculitis right lower extremity - 10% (bilateral right lower)

radiculitis left lower extremity - 10% (bilateral right lower)

refractive-error (eye surgery lasik) - 0%

nasal deviation - 0%

hypertension - 0%

I'm not quite sure how to figure in the bilateral factor. I computed 91% which rounds down to 90%.

I currently have an appeal pending on the thoracic outlet since I have also been diagnosed with carpal tunnel (both right and left) and a claim for depression due to chronic pain secondary to sc with a GAF listed at 50.

I was scheduled for a sleep study because my VA doc believes I have sleep apnea (secondary to sc) but the VA no longer has a contract with the hospital. I am going to get the study done through a private physician. Will the VA accept this or will I have to go through a C&P exam if the civilian doctor diagnoses me with sleep apnea.

Any assistance/opinions on these would be greatly appreciated.

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

I currently have the following:

Intervertebra disk disease with degeneration - 30%

Cervical spine degenerative joint disease - 30%

Degenerative joint disease, right knee - 30% (bilateral right lower)

Degenerative joint disease, left knee - 30% (bilateral left lower)

left shoulder injury - 10% (bilateral left upper)

left elbow condition - 10% (bilateral left upper)

right elbow condition - 10% (bilateral right upper)

thoracic outlet syndrome left upper extremity - 10% (bilateral left upper)

thoracic outlet syndrome right upper extremity - 10% major (bilateral right upper)

radiculitis right lower extremity - 10% (bilateral right lower)

radiculitis left lower extremity - 10% (bilateral right lower)

refractive-error (eye surgery lasik) - 0%

nasal deviation - 0%

hypertension - 0%

I'm not quite sure how to figure in the bilateral factor. I computed 91% which rounds down to 90%.

I currently have an appeal pending on the thoracic outlet since I have also been diagnosed with carpal tunnel (both right and left) and a claim for depression due to chronic pain secondary to sc with a GAF listed at 50.

I was scheduled for a sleep study because my VA doc believes I have sleep apnea (secondary to sc) but the VA no longer has a contract with the hospital. I am going to get the study done through a private physician. Will the VA accept this or will I have to go through a C&P exam if the civilian doctor diagnoses me with sleep apnea.

Any assistance/opinions on these would be greatly appreciated.

Not sure about the bilateral issue and which one they would add the 10% to, but since you are rated so high now (91%), it wouldn't make a difference. The sleep apnea is a different story. Since a high rating for sleep apnea would probably get you to the 100% level, I would imagine the VA will want their own C&P done. Have you filed for TDIU??

Which of your service connected condition is cause of Sleep apnea? You will have to have medical proof the there is conncetion for a secondary condtion.

Which of your service connected condition is cause of Sleep apnea? You will have to have medical proof the there is conncetion for a secondary condtion.

I have SC (0%) for a deviated septum and significant weight gain due to chronic pain from multiple spine and joint SC's that limit my ability to work out along with depression and the meds have made my ability to sleep (severe snoring) even worse. I hope the doc can do a good nexus letter. Any suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Not sure about the bilateral issue and which one they would add the 10% to, but since you are rated so high now (91%), it wouldn't make a difference. The sleep apnea is a different story. Since a high rating for sleep apnea would probably get you to the 100% level, I would imagine the VA will want their own C&P done. Have you filed for TDIU??

Haven't filed for TDIU as of yet, I'm still working but it is getting physically tough. I do have a claim submitted for depression and my VA Mental health doc diagnosed me with depression secondary to chronic pain, assigned a GAF of 50, and increased my meds (which by the way has made my ability to sleep even worse). She even told me to file for depression secondary to pain and my VSO liked what she documented.

Do you think I will have to go to a C&P exam or will the VA use the medical evidence from their own mental health doc? Plus I still have the sleep study/apnea issue........amd actually my computed rating is 93% before it is rounded down to 90% if my calculation is right.