VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Flu Or Is It Something Else

Rate this topic

• HadIt.com Elder

Last Monday I started having coughing attacks. Mostly dry but so many and so hard that I thought that I would not be able to catch my breath. By thursday I had fever and stuffy nose and still the cough. The Flem had gone from clear to yellow or green and very thick and hard to spit out. I am pretty sure that I now have bronchitis and a fever and my neck and back and shoulders ache.

Mrs Pete and I figure that we picked this up by milling around so many people at funeral and with family. Usually we don't leave the house.

I called my HMO Doc at 8 AM and still not heard back. The only reliefe I get at all is a hot shower with lots of steam and I have cough syrup that helps a little with cough. If I lay down there is hell to pay and when I get up to move I get all wobbly.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say a flu bug has gotten you. Remember to stay hydrated, as it is easier to cough up wet stuff than dry. Drink anything but alcohol and milk, as milk makes mucus and you know what alcohol does besides dehydrate!

I don't know all your medical issues, but if any of them are respitory in nature (besides the flu) I would just do a walk in and bring your pillow for the wait you will have to make. It never hurts to have a pro listen to your chest, and give you meds if necessary.

When you are at home, curl up with a blanket and nest....but stay upright if you are filling your lungs with fluid...like in your recliner.

An extended sit in a hot steamy shower should help too.

Take care of yourself!

Akwidow

Welcome to the world of "the crud"....it seems that in Ohio there have been 2 versions going around. I had the version that lasted about a month, bad cough, fever, and feeling like....ugh. The 2nd version is worse...as it seems to be more upper respiratory in nature and require antibiotics to help. Mine was just a really bad virus.

Hope you like water because you need to drink lots of it. Feel better soon!!!!

• HadIt.com Elder

I had bronchitus so bad some years ago I was in bed for days. You need to take care of it because you can end up in the hospital with them pumping oxygen into your lungs. Ny fever got so high I was delirius for a while. It goes from bad to very bad in a hurry if your lungs start to fill up.

• HadIt.com Elder

I saw my Medicare Doctor. He actually called me at home and told me to come over. No weigh in he just listened to me, listened to my lungs and write a prescription for z Pak, Cought syrup and told me to by zyrtec d. He actually gave me his phone number if anything went wrong this weekend. I got my meds and I am going to basically sit in my recliner till I get better. I have been taking 2 showers a day and that really has helped.

Thanks to all who replied.