VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

New To Voc Rehab

Rate this question

USMC_HVEQ

Question

Hi,

I recently applied for Voc Rehab as I have a combined 70% disability rating (50 % ptsd, 20/20 each shoulder {40% for bilateral factor}, 10% tinnitus).

Well I missed my intial appt and email the VARO to set up another appt. I filled out the packet. I have a few questions which are lingering and would like someone's opinion prior to my voc rehab appt.

I am currently in an apprenticeship program for heavy equipment in MA. Work has been very sporadic, only worked 4 wks so far this year. I am struggling financially. I was medically retired, TDRL from USMC in 07. I am currently not getting my full 70% VA compensation. I am having to repay old money that i was receiving from retired pay, which I never hid. I'm trying to find out if it will be possible to get compensated for the OJT/Apprenticeship rate? This is a 4 yr program. I am in year 1. I attend class 3 days a week in addition to work (if any).

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder
Hi,

I recently applied for Voc Rehab as I have a combined 70% disability rating (50 % ptsd, 20/20 each shoulder {40% for bilateral factor}, 10% tinnitus).

Well I missed my intial appt and email the VARO to set up another appt. I filled out the packet. I have a few questions which are lingering and would like someone's opinion prior to my voc rehab appt.

I am currently in an apprenticeship program for heavy equipment in MA. Work has been very sporadic, only worked 4 wks so far this year. I am struggling financially. I was medically retired, TDRL from USMC in 07. I am currently not getting my full 70% VA compensation. I am having to repay old money that i was receiving from retired pay, which I never hid. I'm trying to find out if it will be possible to get compensated for the OJT/Apprenticeship rate? This is a 4 yr program. I am in year 1. I attend class 3 days a week in addition to work (if any).

I am no expert in PTSD, but from my readings on this site and others, you are putting your 50% rating in jepardy with the apprenticeship program for heavy equipment , I see the VA looking at this different from your veiw.

The Voc Rehab from the VA is a realy good program.....yes, you get monies from a apprenticeship program , but it has been long since I looked at them, you might find links on this site or go to VA.gov for better info.

I'm sure voc rehab program is good. I'm not concerned about putting my rating to a test. It was actaully worse but I didnt fight for it to be 70%. I use to work in an office setting and found it's a little easier in construction field, since i snap very quick. I think it will be better for me to work. I've been out of work for almost 2 yrs and now only work sporadically as it is, since construction is slow with funding. I was just trying to figure out if there is something I should know before I went in for my appt? I go to class 3 days a week and this is year 1 of a 4 yr program.

• HadIt.com Elder

Actually Voc Rehab is supposed to work like Social Security rehab in first they give you the training, than they help you get a job and finally after a decent period of time look at reducing your rating based on employment.

Its a good program I wish you well

Has the VA set you up with a Voc Rehab counselor yet?

Have you accessed the Education Icon at the VA web site yet?

I will see if I can find info on the OJT program. My husband was in Voc Rehab at a local college- I dont know how OJT works but I think the info is at the VA web site-he worked at VA during Voc Rehab but this was not OJT-

I have question for you- have you looked into any potential eligibility you might have for CRDP

or CRSC?

Concurrent Receipt of disability and Mil payments or Combat Related Special Compensation?

There is discussion here at hadit on these benefits and at Mil.com and the VA website as well as the DOD site.

It seems DOD kicks in automatically on the CRDP but I think many vets are eligible as retirees for CRSC but never apply for it.

Are you really able to continue to work?

If a doctor says you are unemployable due to service connected conditions that would get you TDIU-at the 100% rate.

College is very stressful so I imagine OJT is too.

I will try to find more OJT info and reply here again.

I forgot this question too-

when the VA awarded you 70% what reason did they give for not sending you the TDIU form?

Has the VA set you up with a Voc Rehab counselor yet?

Have you accessed the Education Icon at the VA web site yet?

I will see if I can find info on the OJT program. My husband was in Voc Rehab at a local college- I dont know how OJT works but I think the info is at the VA web site-he worked at VA during Voc Rehab but this was not OJT-

I have question for you- have you looked into any potential eligibility you might have for CRDP

or CRSC?

Concurrent Receipt of disability and Mil payments or Combat Related Special Compensation?

There is discussion here at hadit on these benefits and at Mil.com and the VA website as well as the DOD site.

It seems DOD kicks in automatically on the CRDP but I think many vets are eligible as retirees for CRSC but never apply for it.

Are you really able to continue to work?

If a doctor says you are unemployable due to service connected conditions that would get you TDIU-at the 100% rate.

College is very stressful so I imagine OJT is too.

I will try to find more OJT info and reply here again.

The OJT program has to be approved by the State approving agency for veterans benefits---which the VA will then recognize the OJT program. Usually this agency is located in the state capital. (In Ohio, ours is in Columbus).