VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

New To Voc Rehab

Rate this question

USMC_HVEQ

Question

Hi,

I recently applied for Voc Rehab as I have a combined 70% disability rating (50 % ptsd, 20/20 each shoulder {40% for bilateral factor}, 10% tinnitus).

Well I missed my intial appt and email the VARO to set up another appt. I filled out the packet. I have a few questions which are lingering and would like someone's opinion prior to my voc rehab appt.

I am currently in an apprenticeship program for heavy equipment in MA. Work has been very sporadic, only worked 4 wks so far this year. I am struggling financially. I was medically retired, TDRL from USMC in 07. I am currently not getting my full 70% VA compensation. I am having to repay old money that i was receiving from retired pay, which I never hid. I'm trying to find out if it will be possible to get compensated for the OJT/Apprenticeship rate? This is a 4 yr program. I am in year 1. I attend class 3 days a week in addition to work (if any).

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

gee I just realized others answered here too-

and they sure raise good points-

Yes Voc Rehab does cover OJT-but it is the VETS program Chapter 41 38 USC and Voc Rehab is Chapter 31.

VocRehab of any form is a two edged sword.

My husband 30% PTSD since 1983-got employment at the VA

At the same time he enrolled into Voc Rehab.

This was Sept 1988.

Christmas Eve 1988-letter from VA -

Dear veteran we propose to reduce your 30% SC to 10% since you not only attend College but have substantial employment.

( One single semester made him a rocket scientist? and the VA threw the "crazies" into the dietetic shit jobs which were all part time-not honoring all the Affirmative action laws that protect PTSD vets)

He got back to 30% of course. But this is why Voc Rehab and OJT can help but also can hurt.

I apologise read the first post and didnt see others already gave good advise.

Are you OIF OEF?

You could be eligible for CRSC that could restore some of the mil retiree pay offset.

As well as TDIU (100% rate)

• HadIt.com Elder

I was in two aprenticeship programs back in the 1972-73. Carpenter and drywall and painters union programs. I used my GI bill which paid for the apprenticship programs and worked full time/ojt. I.m sure the GI bill covers these type of programs still, they may have to be union related. Might want to check into if you have'nt already. Hope this helps.

T&B

I had feeling this vet didnt pay into the GI Bill Tagandbag- maybe I am wrong there-

my daughter, who got her Chapter 35 award 3 weeks before she left for the Military, also paid into the GI bill while in service.

She planned on using CHapter 35 at my school AMU for her BS and then the GI bill for her Masters.

Last night she called me -she just got a promotion (she is Top Secret DOD as a civilian now) and hasnt found the time to get the 6 credits she needs for the BS.

Ironically she has been paying for her own education so far and Clepped some stuff that Chapter 35 doesnt cover (as far as I know)

and her 2 years of DLI military gave her plenty of college credits.

One thing vets should never overlook is to tie in with the Military educational dept while in service if they are earning any form of potential college credits via their MOS.

• HadIt.com Elder

Berta, I never realized you had to pay for the GI bill. I thought that was an automatic if you were honorably discharged. But it was a long time ago and things are a little foggy since then. But I am glad that it was available and I used it. Back in 1971, the amount that was available, I believe was considerably less than it is now. But the cost of education has exploded, so I guess it evens out. Congrats on your daughters promotion.

T&B

thanks for your responses guys, I appreciate it. I did not have to pay into GI Bill as I was a reservist. I had been using REAP (ch 1607). I have 11 months and 28 days remaining. I was trying to use the remaining benefits up. I'm appealing my deliminating date. I was medically retired. I have all the paper work to submit. I will be claiming September-March for ch 1607, if I can. I am currently in an apprenticeship program, local 4, in MA (operating Engineers). I was trying to see if I could then use voc rehab. I will be in apprenticeship fro 4 yrs total. This is year 1. SOrry If I confused people. Since I don't have many benefits left on GI Bill, i just wanted to sue as mucha s I could then transfer to voc rehab, if that is even possible. If I can't then I can't...

I had missed my interview which was scheduled for March 3rd. I emialed the site trying to get another interview. I filled out that packet (questionare), they sent me.

I have a few questions that I want to put in on this thread because I am about to start school in August. Now I am 26 and never gone to college and I know that with the Voc Rehab program I get all my books and stuff paid for as well as my school and I get a living allowance. My big question that I would love to get answered is what about needing a computer for school?? I don't actually have one. My fiance has a laptop but what happens if we go down the tube then there goes my access to a computer period. Not to mention I am without a job so this is the big reason I am going to school to get a degree that can secure me a job. I keep calling my Voc Rehab counselor but he seems to be very busy with alot of other veterans and hasn't gotten back to me yet. Any help on this would be very much appreciated!!