VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Navigating Regional Offices

Rate this topic

I don't know about you, but I sure was taken back by the fact that the Regional Office Chicago is like a locked down fort with the veteran having access to VA employees, one at a time. You enter and must be screened for weapons. Past screenining is a foyer with washrooms and a large waiting room with a window at one end of the waiting room. There is a long hallway off to the side of the waiting room that has the offices of the service organizations. That is as far as you are allowed to go. The claims are handled on the upper floors somewhere. The only contact with a VA employee is at the window in that waitng room. They take turns at the window, must be some sort of division of labor or self-preservation. That's Chicago...What about your Regional Office? What is it like? Are they the same...locked down forts?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

Yep. They are scared of Veterans. In Waco they have their own locked up parking lot.

• HadIt.com Elder

St. Pete VARO is the same locked down fortress. You can get to the VA couselors, but no way can you ever talk to a RO unless it is at a hearing. You go through the weapons screening and all that. The way they treat veterans they have a right to be scared. Here they are screwing some combat vet out of compensation who might have some mental problem, a death wish and a carload of weapons. If they treated people better they would not have to be so scared. In America anyone can go buy an AK-47 and kill anyone. That is just a fact. Felons have no trouble getting guns either.

• 3 months later...

Went to the one here in Denver to get a verification letter, and they had the security, but IMO it wouldn't be hard to get past at the front security desk/detectors. Just keep the element of suprise when entering. I'm sure they have security out of site though, ready to initiate an ambush so body armor would be a must. I would have that set up if given the task anyway. A reaction team of sorts.

For the record, I'm not saying I had gone through the scenerios a few times any different than anywhere else.

• HadIt.com Elder

My Brother was a Federan District Judge before he passed away.

They wound up with some pretty thorough security......especially ever since Woody Harrelson's father and his "case".

My Brother would get in his car to go home and there would be "leaders" and "followers".

Heck, even on Saturday........he never went to WalMart, not without "watchers".

Of course, there were some people that didn't like him BEFORE he became judge......and then there were the ones that came along......after he became judge.

Hell of a note, though, that you can't even enter a courthouse or the local Social Security or VA office, without feeling like the Iatollah boarding El Al.