VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Disabilty Rating And Compensation

Rate this question

Erich

Question

I don't understand how the rating system works in determining compensation. Can someone tell me at what rate I should be paid with the following service connections?

50% PTSD

10% SFW to rt leg

10% SFW to chest

10% Neck Injury

Please advise if 60% compensation is correct for these ratings?

Thanks...

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

Eric,

Here is how you figure the percentage. The actual percentage is 64% (rounds down to 60%). If it were 65% then it would round up to 70%.

You are considered 100% whole when you enter the military. Here is the Math (the on line caculators are wrong). 100-50%=50% x 10% =5 50+5=55 100-55= 45% x 10% is 4.5% or 5% 55+5=60. 100-60=40 x 10%=4 60+4=64. It is that simple. The spread sheet never takes into place the bilateral factor. Also if you were in combat, you should have ringing in your ears. If so, you should reopen your claim to get service connection for Tinnitus. This would give you another 10% (that is all you can get. It went to the US Supreme Court 2 years ago). That would give you 68%

100-64 is 36 x 10% = 3.6 (or 4, at five you round up) 64+4=68. At 68 your rounded up to 70%. If you can't work, your eligible for IU. This is something you can apply for when you reopen your claim or when your service connected disabilities cause you to not be able to work anymore. If your going to reopen, you can fax your claim to 540-597-1792. You can put it on a fax coversheet. It should read something like this:

I wish to reopen my claim to establish service connection for Tinnitus (ringing in my ears) per 38 USC 1154 (2)(B) which states:

§ 1154. Consideration to be accorded time, place, and circumstances of service

(2) the provisions required by section 5 of the Veterans’ Dioxin and Radiation Exposure Compensation Standards Act (Public Law 98–542; 98 Stat. 2727).

(B) In the case of any veteran who engaged in combat with the enemy in active service with a military, naval, or air organization of the United States during a period of war, campaign, or expedition, the Secretary shall accept as sufficient proof of service-connection of any disease or injury alleged to have been incurred in or aggravated by such service satisfactory lay or other evidence of service incurrence or aggravation of such injury or disease, if consistent with the circumstances, conditions, or hardships of such service, notwithstanding the fact that there is no official record of such incurrence or aggravation in such service, and, to that end, shall resolve every reasonable doubt in favor of the veteran. Service-connection of such injury or disease may be rebutted by clear and convincing evidence to the contrary. The reasons for granting or denying service-connection in each case shall be recorded in full.

Since I was in combat, under the provisions of 38 USC 1154 (2)(B), I request service connection for Tinnitus.

In support of my claim, my tinnitus lasts between one minute to more than then minutes. I didn't not report the tinnitus since I though it was part of my bilateral hearing loss.

Your attention to this matter is appreciated.

If you fax the above statement (make whatever adjustment you deem necessary) to the fax number (in Roanoke Virginia RO) prior to 4/30/2009), if granted you will get paid from 5/1/2009. If you wait until May, you will not get paid until June 2009 when they back pay you.

I don't understand how the rating system works in determining compensation. Can someone tell me at what rate I should be paid with the following service connections?

50% PTSD

10% SFW to rt leg

10% SFW to chest

10% Neck Injury

Please advise if 60% compensation is correct for these ratings?

Thanks...

Edited by Pete53
Turn off emnoticons