VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Any Answers?

Rate this question

scottC

Question

I recently was removed from federal service as a Police Officer due to my Service Connected disabilities. Sleep Apnea, Asthma, Hypertension,COPD and back condition. I am 70% service connected now. I was approved for my federal employees disability retirement. I applied for TDIU my doctor sent in a medical opinion for my TDIU. The VA sent me to a C&P exap for the TDIU. The only thing I mean the only thing the doctor did was take my blood pressure which averaged 148/96. He said he "never had such a quick exam and that was all that was asked for. I was out in 3 minutes. I dont know if this was good or bad?

Scott

• Answers 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

BERTA

Yes i had to apply for social security when i applied for the fers disability. ssa is reviewing my medical evidence now.

• HadIt.com Elder

I am on FERS disability and SSD. You really need the TDIU to be able to survive. Your FERS will be offset by 60% of your SSD (if you get it). Either way it is peanuts. Civil service retirement was gutted in 1984 when it was taken into the SSA system. You will find the FERS is a pitiful amount of money especially after your deductions for medical insurance. I get only $325 a month because of the SSD offset and my insurance. That makes TDIU all that more important since it is more than your SSD and your FERS combined. It sounds like you will get your TDIU. When you reach your regular retirement age the SSD offset goes away and you get the whopping amount of about $1000 a month for 30 years of federal service.

1880 a month. Deductions for taxes and insurance makes fers 1540 a month for first year minus any ssdi if i get it. then down to 962 the next year and after with deductions taken out. Of course this all depends on ssdi. My ssdi statement i recieved stated that 1674 a month that is the last statement I recieved from social security as to if i became disabled. So not to bad. ssdi would minus from fers so I would end up with only the 1674 would basically lose fers if granted ssdi.

• HadIt.com Elder

You will probably retain about 7-8 hundred bucks a month from your FERS + any SSDI amount.

Edited by JR Reihs

1880 a month. Deductions for taxes and insurance makes fers 1540 a month for first year minus any ssdi if i get it. then down to 962 the next year and after with deductions taken out. Of course this all depends on ssdi. My ssdi statement i recieved stated that 1674 a month that is the last statement I recieved from social security as to if i became disabled. So not to bad. ssdi would minus from fers so I would end up with only the 1674 would basically lose fers if granted ssdi.

Hello Scott

Did you just use your VA disability to request your retirement?

I also work for the Feds and want to do the same.

Hello Scott

Did you just use your VA disability to request your retirement?

I also work for the Feds and want to do the same.

Yes I did. But the employee physician did not pass me on my annual physical due to these diagnosed conditions. If you need assistance let me know. I did a lot of research and also note the "BRUNER PRESUMPTION" If they remove you then the burden shifts.