VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

A Real Cardio Doc At The Va!

Rate this topic

I had an appt today (a follow-up after some tests) at the cardio clinic at the Dayton VAMC. The first cardio doc I saw there was well.....an idiot. He had actually told me that "women's chest pain is only caused by stress". OMG. And it went downhill from there.

But today I saw a real cardio doc....a civilian one who was doing his time at the Dayton VAMC...he was from one of our local hospitals. He actually took the time to listen to all of my symptoms...and my history...and didn't just dismiss me.

He was not happy that my cholestrol levels haven't been checked in over a year and are boarderline....also my thyroid levels haven't been checked in over 2 years (and my 2 sisters and 1 neice have thyroid disease!). He was also surprised that I haven't had a repeat echo on my heart since my other one is over 3 years old and showed some irregularities.

Soooooo, he ordered my bloodwork, ordered the echo and ordered another stress test. Only this time the stress test is a chemical one, with contrast. He said he finds my symptoms "troubling" and wants to make sure to check everything.

Wow, what a difference a real doc makes. Now if I could only get the women's clinic and the mental health clinic to follow suit...

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

You know the VA rated me 60% for a cardio condition and I have never seen a cardiologist at the VA. I saw one in the private sector on my own dime.

I could easily be rated for my cardio conditions as they began in service (it's all documented)...I've had two surgical procedures after I got out (from civilian providers)...and continue to have problems...but knowing how the VA operates, I don't want them messing with me and the rating I already have.

The doc I saw yesterday was a "cardiology fellow" from one of our well-known local hospitals. As soon as I saw on his coat where he was from...I knew it was a good thing. My son goes to that same hospital for his neuro care as they have a wonderful epilepsy center.

• HadIt.com Elder

Although I have asked and have a CAD diagnosis I have never seen a cardio Doc at my VA

• HadIt.com Elder

John, did you choose to see a cardiologist outside the va? or were there no cardiologists at the VA?

You know the VA rated me 60% for a cardio condition and I have never seen a cardiologist at the VA. I saw one in the private sector on my own dime.
Edited by cowgirl