VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Va Denies Cpap

Rate this question

vjrosales

Question

Hello,

My name is Victor Rosales. I'm an Iraqi Vet and just got signed in with the VA in my hometown of Grand Junction CO last year. Our VA rep got me disability for Sleep Apnea that was documented in my medical records. While in Active Duty I had 2 throat and nose operations for chronic snoring and sleep apnea. And a sleep study before I could get any of these procedures. Anyways the VA recognizes that and deems it service connected. On the civilian sleep study it was posted that I be a canidate for CPAP but I was never issued one due to be clasifed as non deployable (Marine lolol)

Ok, here comes the long process I've been through. I had to go to my primary care physician, show him my old sleep study that was supposed to be sacnned in the system, 4 months ago. He orders me a sleep study, and sure enough it says I stop breathing at night, mild sleep apnea and chronic snoring, 70 decibles. So I do have a sleep disorder. Cardio Pulmanary says ,my oxygen levels are fine and wouldnt even give me a Triation. I had to go to the VA patient rep just to get the test. After seeing that Im getting disabilty for it, he says the VA has to legally treat me.

Anyways, take the CPAP home for 7 days. I got called into work the second and third day so I was unable to have 7 consecutive days on the machine. I called into cardio pulmanary and notified them. I always have to call my physician or them, just to get updates because I need it now not 3 months for a letter of dissaprroval.

So they denied me the CPAP. They said I was non compliant, that i had 3 nights over 4 hours the rest of the time I didnt (must have taken it off)

They wont give me a CPAP, and I feel like I'm being denied the health care I desreve. I called both the rep and physician with no luck or calls back. What can I do?

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

You can appeal the decision. It works a little different as the appeal must be within 30 days of denial and if they turn you down you have to appeal straight to BVA. You can and should ask for a Hearing.

Many including myself would not have a CPAP under the rules they are using for you. It took me over a year to get to the place where I could be called complain. For example I rarely sleep even four hours in the first place.

Last year I had 223 days of four hour sleep on CPAP so I have gotten better.

Thanks for the response. Actually I may be SOL. Its been over a month since they told me on the phone (Cardio Pulmanary) "every test wev'e done on you proves you don't have sleep apnea". My social life is in ruin, room mates in the Corps, girlfriends, friends all say I choke and snore incredibally loud. Surgeons at the VA said my tonsilectomy, uvalaplatsy, and corrected deviated septum....they cant do anything. Whats BVA? What can i do. I'm going to call my Doctor today and even the patient rep, since its been 2 months since I returned the machine and have not had a letter or voicemail. I work in the oil fields, the grave yard shift. So my sleep schedules is sort of messed up when I do go back home. Usually gone for a month at time. Ive even thought of writing my congressmen but i dont know if it would help.