VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Could This Be Influential For Cue? Polio Diagnosis As Infant?

Rate this question

halos2

Question

Vet went into service and upon admission H & P typed on reverse side "infantile paralysis polio no residuals"

Vet had back injury inservice had many treatments, medications, adaptive equipment, pain all of the time, had bed rest 3-5 days, therapy for 20 days, xrays did not show anything broken(years before CAT's and MRI's)pain radiation to legs. All notations show pain continues, no improvement. Brace ordered.

Discharge physical has had typed notation on reverse side no further problem from back injury on date xx/xxxx. The vet never had an injury on the date typed on the discharge physical. The injury occurred months later.

The claim was denied 2x. Never had the vet or va made referrence to the preservice infantile paralysis polio diagnosis.

So can this be conscrewed as a preexisting condition prior to admission to the service? Would that help the vets claim?

The vet was hospitalized for this polio and was paralysed in the spineous region and could not sit/stand/walk/move extremities/turn over/not continent of b&b function/ none of these things...have not been able to locate hospital records as it was about 58 yrs ago. There is a sister who could vouch for this and some other relatives too.

Just wondering as wouldn't this determine there was evidence of this preexisting condition as validated on the adm h&p? Any injury to the spinous process subjects it to further damage at a later period in one's life as noted on Dr Bash's site regarding back claim documentation evaluations.

This was never addressed in the past so would one now?? Info appreciated.

• Answers 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

We used to have member here who claimed SC for polio-

His claim was denied countless times-

he had no residuals-

nor could he prove that any past polio he might have had as child was aggravated by his military service.

This vet would need proof of any inservice problems but it seems they were all rersolved by time of discharge.

Therefore he would need a very strong IMO to show inservice documentation of back problems was cause of his current disabilities.

Does he have a formal diagnosis of "post polio" syndrome?

If so that could possibly help him but he needs an IMO.

• HadIt.com Elder

That member eventually got 100% because he was vaccinated for polio by the Military. He had polio as an infant and his claim was that the vaccination caused him to have polio a second time.

I cannot think of anyone who had more problems proving his claim than he did and eventually an IMO from Dr Bash including some pertinent research data seemed to have worked.

I actually think that Dr Bash would be able to help this Veteran.

DS contacted me last week- Pete- he forgot he told us years ago he won 100% and he immediately left the board. 2005 I think it was-

He wanted me to post and wants everyone here to know he just got 100% recently and wants you all to know he just got a check for $452,000 from the VA.

I didnt post this because I still think he is full of shit.

A good IMO would help the vet here if they have ratable residuals and can prove service aggravation or inservice polio.

Berta and Pete,

Was hoping to hear from you guys on this subject. Being fairly new to this site I realize not one individual can answer anothers question/questions without investigating the possibilities out there as is with posting to generate valuable information to help another. That is the beauty of this forum...post a question/statement/problem and one can utalize the "brains" out there to help.

Do you think a post polio syndrome would be beneficial?

Don't know but it seems vet demonstrates alot of the quantifing symptomology associated with this syndrome ie fatigue, muscle weakness, muscle fatigability, decreased endurance, decline in muscle strength,muscle and joint pain...had been diagnosed with fibromyalgia yrs ago with full blown fibro in 2002.

Is not able to work, gets SSDI, small VA disab for psych condition. Denied with va x2 for back problems, and sent to board; however didn't have an answer for/if this would be demonstrative for a "preexisting condition!"

????

BTY this retro sounds suspicious esp if originally granted 100% in 2005 and then of recent and apparently no $$$ received till now??? Why wasn't $$$$ given to him when first granted in 2005??

You would think one would go ape sh*t if they didn't get their $$$$ in a few months.JMO

Vet went into service and upon admission H & P typed on reverse side "infantile paralysis polio no residuals"

Vet had back injury inservice had many treatments, medications, adaptive equipment, pain all of the time, had bed rest 3-5 days, therapy for 20 days, xrays did not show anything broken(years before CAT's and MRI's)pain radiation to legs. All notations show pain continues, no improvement. Brace ordered.

Discharge physical has had typed notation on reverse side no further problem from back injury on date xx/xxxx. The vet never had an injury on the date typed on the discharge physical. The injury occurred months later.

The claim was denied 2x. Never had the vet or va made referrence to the preservice infantile paralysis polio diagnosis.

So can this be conscrewed as a preexisting condition prior to admission to the service? Would that help the vets claim?

The vet was hospitalized for this polio and was paralysed in the spineous region and could not sit/stand/walk/move extremities/turn over/not continent of b&b function/ none of these things...have not been able to locate hospital records as it was about 58 yrs ago. There is a sister who could vouch for this and some other relatives too.

Just wondering as wouldn't this determine there was evidence of this preexisting condition as validated on the adm h&p? Any injury to the spinous process subjects it to further damage at a later period in one's life as noted on Dr Bash's site regarding back claim documentation evaluations.

This was never addressed in the past so would one now?? Info appreciated.

Edited by halos2

• HadIt.com Elder

Sorry you feel that way. I have answered as much as I feel comfortable with. I do think that the claimant reaches a point where its there job to produce evidence to win.

I pointed out that I think Dr Bash is the Doc they need. I also discussed how a Member here had won 100% provided that they did not lie to me. I have no way to verify anything that I am told on Hadit.

It is going to be a hard claim to win but in my opinion not impossible.

No one really knows all that much about polio cept older people who saw the iron lungs and took the shots.

I don't feel a certain way except greatful for the help and info from you guys here...I thanked you and Berta and just made comments/wondering/questions on what to do to help or how to do it. No disrespect here ever. We get pooped on by the VA never here...I love it we can give/get/share/question/and just plain feel dumfounded sometimes without being judged. I appreciate the info by elders and moderators and all us general "peoples" as it is the only was to get what we feel we deserve or to help those we feel deserve.

Dr Bash appears to be quite knowledgable, but I don't know many who can afford his fees. If we all had the $ we would be jumping to use his services. I have been revieving alot of his cases on the BVA site...curious on the stats of granted claims though. Maybe the 40 or so are not indicitive of those he has won though. Maybe the disablilities are of a different nature than the ones I reviewed too, don't know?

Somewhere we seem to have recently gotten on the buses going in different directions while trying to arrive at the same destination.Don't know how/where/why but I'll gladly ride shotgun with anyone here!! B)

Sorry you feel that way. I have answered as much as I feel comfortable with. I do think that the claimant reaches a point where its there job to produce evidence to win.

I pointed out that I think Dr Bash is the Doc they need. I also discussed how a Member here had won 100% provided that they did not lie to me. I have no way to verify anything that I am told on Hadit.

It is going to be a hard claim to win but in my opinion not impossible.

No one really knows all that much about polio cept older people who saw the iron lungs and took the shots.