VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Med Change To Morphine

Rate this topic

Morphine, Methodone, David I am thinking again, If your pain is that severe, They you should be no less than 100 percent. The Meds are very powerful.

You and I have the same problem. We are too young in the eyes of SSA and the VA. We are in our forties.

Have the Doc prescribe something like a long acting Pepcid or even Fenegren. Be careful the fenegren will put you to sleep. I take pepcid for the Hydrocodone 10. I have taken it for 12 years. It makes me an insomniac.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

I have been on Hydrocodone, Tramadol, Morphine, Demerol and all helped in different ways.

Hydrocodone & demerol will give you a hangover and I don't like that.

Morphine puts me to sleep.

Tramadol knocks the edge off the pain sometimes, but makes me a bit hyper.

Phenergan which is mainly for an upset stomach .. will also help a LOT with pain and help you sleep too.

One thing that really seemed to help my stomach was 89 cent (Publix Store Brand) yogurt based smoothies when taking the pain meds.

I now am trying a program to ... "live with pain" ... and am trying to train my mind to block it out.

My pain is sometimes not so bad ... and other times .. it gets super bad.

I only take the pain pills now when it gets to the super bad stage.

Good luck on the pain issues .... as it can really get to you ...

Oh ... meditation also helps too ...

...Magoo .. aka .. Bill ... :P

PS ... I have found that IF I can get some really get some good ZZZZs at night ... I can really handle the pain the next day a lot better ... good sleep to me helps a lot.

• HadIt.com Elder

magoo can I send my step daughter and her 2 kids to your house, see how much meditation time you get then, I threatened to pull my grandsons leg off and beat him over the head with the bloody end of it if he didn;t quit trying to dance on the table, he got off quick and I think he's still afraid that I'm capable of doing it, but it has worked to keep him off the tables, they are six and 4 and they are just being kids, but I'm a grumpy old man on pain meds that don;t work half the time.

Well talked to the doc and he took me off the morphine. Thinks I had an adverse reaction. But me back on the lortab. I feel alot better today. I'd like to some way get off the meds all together. I'm gonna talk to my doc about it next visit. These last few days have really made me sick and scared. Thanks for the support & advice guys. You know the best thing about this site is having people to talk with who are going thru the same things you are. :}

PS: I understand about the kids have one of my own. They are not ants, please don't pull their legs off, lol.

Edited by david walker

• HadIt.com Elder

David

You can get yourself off the meds by just cutting your dosage over a few weeks. You don't have to get the VA involved. You know if you are not on meds the VA assumes you have either gotten better or you were never sick or injured to begin with. Just keep getting your scripts and then flush them if you don't need it.

I've been on morphine now for about three years. As was said in another post "they have to keep uping the doseage" is true in my case. I started out on 120mgs and now I'm up to 240mgs daily. It helps but I'm still in a lot of pain. I suffer with spinal stenosis with nerve root compression both sides. I was sent fee basis to a spine clinic and the Doc said the stenosis has been there so long that sugery may not help. He recommended a spinal injection which was done by Dorn VA Hospital in Columbia SC. It helped a lot with the constant aching but the pain is still there. The weather has a LOT to do with the aching and pain. Cold and rainy days takes a toll on me. Makes me crazy. I don't know what my next move is going to be. If sugery won't help there's no use gettting cut up.

I know what you are going through with constant pain. All I can suggest is that we pray for each other and take it one day at a time.

WAYNE (LLEWELLYN)