VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Another Question I Have

Rate this question

shortpig

Question

Does anyone win their claim after their first C & P exam? Can it possibly be that easy or am I just in one of my dreams which is way better than one of my nightmares.

Oh Sorry that was two questions.

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

When it comes to "mental" claims the biggest factor is if you are still working. If you are not working because of the mental condition you have a much better chance of getting a rating over 50%. With mental claims it usually goes 10%,30%, 50%, 70% and then IU or 100%. 70% is considered a serious disability and consideration for IU is almost automatic.

• HadIt.com Elder

Yes, I won my claim after my first C-P. But like Tayo says wording is important, not so much in the legalise, but write about everything you went through. I was awarded PTSD on something I just mentioned in one of my statements and it was not what I considered my stressor, until I thought about it.

The VA really did take the time to analyze everything I sent them. I think it was a little luck, too.

T&B

Yes it happens when the diagnosis is there also evidence is clearly presented(SMR's medical evidence, personnel records that tell of status ie changes in behavior, awol, combat duty, etc) and the nexus that put it all together for the continuance. The VA have granted many on the first try BUT they asually low ball the %. Then the vet has to proceed further if he/she believes they are clearly more disabled than the VA acknowledged.

SO then with the appeal come the NOD, notice of disagreement, and all the steps involved there. I personally do not know of any vets that received 100% first time out. But have read about some.

Don't despair, from what you wrote, you may receive a decent grant and %. You have to look at all of your records, all military and medical, personnel,etc to gather all the evidence to seek a higher % if you are low balled. Also if you feel you are more disabled and can prove it this needs to be addressed. Proff of documentation. Especially medical records exams, medical reviews, and down the road a medical opinion or medical or psychological evaluation maybe needed too.

Be patient it may take a few months and up to yrs. BUT I think since shreddergate they are trying faster to determine claim acceptance/rejection to allow vets to proceed down the avenues faster.

You waited a while to file, take a breather and trust it will come out positive for you.

Remember here at hadit there will always be vets and vets advocates to help you along the VA processes.

Breathe...breathe. :D

BTW I won one of my claims first time around and for a vet I was helping he won 3 claims the first time around!

Does anyone win their claim after their first C & P exam? Can it possibly be that easy or am I just in one of my dreams which is way better than one of my nightmares.

Oh Sorry that was two questions.

Edited by halos2

When it comes to "mental" claims the biggest factor is if you are still working. If you are not working because of the mental condition you have a much better chance of getting a rating over 50%. With mental claims it usually goes 10%,30%, 50%, 70% and then IU or 100%. 70% is considered a serious disability and consideration for IU is almost automatic.

I am working. I actually have a good job however my boss is going to write a letter that mention how my anger flares at work for no apparent reason. How he feels that per the dress code of the position I am way below what is expected but that he understands how hard I try to not be noticed by men. I am more camilion than peacock and he understands that. I won't wear anything that would call attention to myself. Also that I'm unable to attend the groups that the company would like us to attend. I am almost out of my sick leave for this year from Psych appts and sick days I have had and the year isn't even half over yet. If I were to lose this job for any reason I wouldn't be able to find a new one because of my fear of leaving my comfort zone.

After today I will set back and take a deep breath. Right now the most important thing to me is that they acknowledge what was done to me in the military and take responsibility for my treatment. I also feel I shouldn't lose some of my income to be treated and that is what will happen to me if they they turn me down. Once I run out of sick leave then I will lose my pay for that time during my appts with psych and I don't feel that is fair.

Yes in my med files and military record they have the stressor, my C & P seemed to believe me 100% and I think she will make the nexus with no trouble and the letter suggesting I receive a discharge due to psychological issues shouldn't hurt. That letter even contains the threat they made that if I didn't accept the discharge they were offering at the time they were going to have to discipline me for my actions and attitude.

When it comes to how disabled I am I believe that not being able to enjoy anything anymore, having nightmares almost every night and panic attacks on a very regular basis and also being diagnosed with agoraphobia by my private doc, and no social life at all should put me somewhere in the 50% range. If it's higher than that it would be fine but I'm truely not ready to give up my job at this point. I fear if I did I would truly become a potato. I would then spend the rest of my life how ever short it would be in my basement and caring for all my fur critters.

I don't know how this will affect the outcome of my C & P but the minute I was asked to tell what happened to me the tears started to flow as I relived it and didn't stop for the rest of the appt. When asked if I ever think about suicide I said yes way too much and that my animals keep me alive because I have to be here to care for them every morning and every night. They cannot exist without me so that is why I am here to get out of bed in the morning and still here to go to bed at night. She asked about nightmares and I told her I have them almost every night but that everyone has nightmares. She said that isn't true and who ever has told me that was way off base. She agreed the military mistreated women in my situation and it was easier to get rid of me at that time than to try to treat me.

From what I understand in both appts I have gone to, the primary care appt and now the psych appt both of the Drs are new to the VA system. Both of these Drs were very caring professionals and both of them showed great concern for my condition and felt I was in severe need of help.

I however cannot remember my attackers name. Truely I don't want to because if it is a common name and I heard it again I don't know what kind of reaction I would have.

When this is over I hope to have gained a little knowledge that will help others in the future so I can be of help to someone.

I thank all of you for your help in my time of need.

Since your still working, be sure to submit copies of your work attendence records along with your letter from your boss. These will be viewed as official records. Like copies of your pay stubs showing how much sick leave you've had to take over the past few years, etc. Be sure to black out all monetary info first!!